Bottom Drain - Installation and Freezing

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
DoDad thanks for the info. I currently have a sequence pump that has a strainer basket (I believe that is what is called) built into the pump would I still need to install another strainer basket between the drain and the pump? I do not have a lot of room from my skimmer to where my pump is.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The extra strainer basket will help catch extra stuff, but the pump strainer basket will also catch junk, if you don't have the room you will be fine with the one. I am putting an in line basket before my pump basket to help out with catching junk, but it would be ok without.
Your bottom drain would not be piped through your skimmer, you should have two lines one to your skimmer one to the drain, then to the pump. Have the two lines join before the pump. I put in ball valves to regulate the flow between the skimmer and the drain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
With the pump you have you won't need another basket.
You will need a valve between the pond and the pump t6o shut off water and clean the basket.
Bigger pumps will handle the material that gets through the basket. Maybe not nails. lol

Ask a Question