Brokensword's bit of pond heaven [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My mom loved to garden.................but she had zero organization. If there was a bare spot a plant went into it. No real flow. I sort of get it from her. Now when I first planted the hill leading down to the pond I had it all organized, all mulched, weed free. After years of adding 3 inches of mulch every spring pulling weeds fighting vines, etc etc, I gave up.

Now anything I really don't want and can't fight vines of poison ivy, virginia creeper, etc, gets a good dose of round up or something similar. Md is a non stop fight to control the vines. The worse are the brambles. Unreal thorns etc. and grow everywhere.
Yikes! About the worst thing I have/had was poison ivy and you know, for the life of me, I could never remember exactly what it looked like when weeding in that area and would always get a case of itchies every summer. Finally, new neighbor moved in behind me, cleared EVERYTHING OUT (there were dense trees along the fence line and ALL the poison ivy was coming from there, even after I eliminated it from MY yard) and now, it's GREAT! I would spend a day cutting back all the branches up to the telephone lines with pruners, tree saws, etc just to keep some bit of sun on MY side of the fence. Heh, ALL my lilacs, along that fence, are leaning toward the pondhouse. Now, they get to grow upright and even TOWARD my neighbors. 30 years I did this! Glad I was young then!

But I understand how easy it CAN get away from you, all the weeding. Best laid plans, and all that, hey? And obviously, you have a LOT of area plus it's on a hill and no doubt, in full sun. Not the best areas to weed. I tend to let the sun follow me and stay in the shade, except in spring. BUT, I do think if you don't stay on it regularly, it's all too easy to find yourself fighting a jungle. I find having dense perennials helps a lot but I do try to hit the gardens once a week (typically Monday as I take that day off). Mulch does help minimize the bad weeks when it rains a lot and I don't get to it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Pretty easy here to keep control of weeds and things gone wild. Our climate does not allow a lot of stuff to grow really fast except Blackberry bushes! Who ever brought those plants over here to our country should be in jail.............well they are dead now so no need for that but they fill any land left dormant and would take over the world if allowed!
I use a ton of free mulched up tree limbs and bark. Works great!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you have a LOT of area plus it's on a hill and no doubt, in full sun.
Yep on a hill steep enough it is hard to walk up, Makes a great stream. Full full sun, shade only as the sun sets.

I have planted a ton of perennials, comb flowers, they all poofed away, expect a few, do have a lot of nice red bee balm, and purple liles that have taken over, but very pretty. Lemon grass smells great when you walk on it, lots of mint, the bees love it and love the smell as I mow it. On and on. Golden rod everywhere, good food for the bees in the fall.

I don't let it bother me. The deer snack on the day lilies, some bloom a lot loose their flower buds. And I planted a lot of them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
WOW. Just wow. I need to close my mouth before something flies in it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
WOW. Just wow. I need to close my mouth before something flies in it!
well, we got margaritas or hot chocolate, depending on the season; with a screen, not much else gets to fly into any mouths...;)

Thanks for stoppin' by and settin' a spell! Welcome back anytime!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
figured I'd link to some of my Youtube vids; pardon the early years as I was still honing the craft (still am, but current are much better, imo!)

pond videos

and one embedded as example!

smiley-freezing-Xsml-anigif.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You have a ton of beauties!
been working hard toward that end, JDub; used to be you'd easily pick out the 'koi' re color, now? Not so easy and it's the gf that are harder to pick out (the ones NOT orange or orange+white.). Don't have as many shubbies anymore (sad face) and that's part of the reason I've leaned into the white,black, and red koi more. If I ever find shubbies that looked as good as my first batch, I'd buy them in an instant but most I see are too muddled for my taste, hence the koi with their more distinct patterns!

Thanks, as always, for taking a peek!

smiley-tongue-on-icy-pole---Xsml.gif
smiley-sunny-hot.gif

Reactions: j.w

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
been working hard toward that end, JDub; used to be you'd easily pick out the 'koi' re color, now? Not so easy and it's the gf that are harder to pick out (the ones NOT orange or orange+white.). Don't have as many shubbies anymore (sad face) and that's part of the reason I've leaned into the white,black, and red koi more. If I ever find shubbies that looked as good as my first batch, I'd buy them in an instant but most I see are too muddled for my taste, hence the koi with their more distinct patterns!

Thanks, as always, for taking a peek!

View attachment 146510View attachment 146511
You need to take a road trip up near @addy1 she has this secret place where she gets all her lovely Shubbies!
1642793398646.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You need to take a road trip up near @addy1 she has this secret place where she gets all her lovely Shubbies!
View attachment 146527
too true; when I actually go looking online, I'm pretty disappointed in what they'r offering plus I know ME; I'll want to pick out a specific one(s) and not be sent what they think is a good version. But bidding on shubbies online isn't that popular and when I DO see one, the price is as much as a koi...ah, so, you KNOW which way I'm going with THAT one!

smiley sunny.gif

• Love

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
too true; when I actually go looking online, I'm pretty disappointed in what they'r offering plus I know ME; I'll want to pick out a specific one(s) and not be sent what they think is a good version. But bidding on shubbies online isn't that popular and when I DO see one, the price is as much as a koi...ah, so, you KNOW which way I'm going with THAT one!

View attachment 146535View attachment 146536
Good prices for hers if the place is still there?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
you're going to have to up the ante; I doubt my wife would take a road trip to Maryland just for shubbies...though, I COULD try! heh heh

smiley sunny.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
pure love and relax

I'm finding a lot of enjoyment with pond vids, but I've always like camera stuff anyhow. Glad the price of a gopro knockoff is affordable! I really like the different pov than just from above. This summer, I'm going to do more 'water level' shots; made a new/different type float for the cam as the gatorcam didn't really work that well for this type pov; sorta tipped and rocked too much. This new model will float flat and I'll just have to pole it around the pond, as far as I can reach, or, figure a way for the gatorboat to push it...hmm, that does give me an idea...!

smiley sunny.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are still around, I have not picked up any new fish in years, except the fan tails after the heron ate every single one. I have no way to keep new fish separate from the fish I have.

They have over 100 acres of ponds, third generation raising the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question