Building a Pond in Chicago Area - Advice Gladly Taken

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Got the pond running today! the waterfall looks great. Still tweaking it a bit. Decided not the use the spray foam to direct the water - at least for now. Though there is water that goes to the left and right of the bluestone waterfall base, I am not too worried as there is plenty of water going forward or in the center.

We added to 3/4" and 1/2" river rock around the pond; not sure that will stay. Looks a bit out of place. Need to buy a few more stones to line sides, add mulch, add some plants around the pond, and start with a few small fish by Saturday.

Any tips on how to get a pond cycled smoothly? I know it will take a few weeks, and I may lose a fish along the way. I am adding a dechlorinator tonight. Any tips on good product for removing chlorine? I am use a product call stress coat that I used in freaswater tanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1669.JPG
    IMG_1669.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_1670.JPG
    IMG_1670.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_1667.JPG
    IMG_1667.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 230

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We added to 3/4" and 1/2" river rock around the pond; not sure that will stay. Looks a bit out of place.
Take the stones out into the yard via outcroppings, like a nice big boulder here and there. breaks up the necklace look. Have them out into the grass with plants among them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Take the stones out into the yard via outcroppings, like a nice big boulder here and there.

Great advice. You can instantly change the look of your pond by a few well placed rocks away from the edge. Your pond will look larger and you'll create more spots for interesting plantings. Some of my favorite rocks are the ones that are in the yard - never made it to the pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Quick update on the pond. Here is a pic of planting my wife is putting on the backside of the pond.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 211
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
So im a little ticked. The savio filterskimer i got on craigslist leaks. The prior owner used and external pump and had cut a 3" hole on the bottom left side for the piping. The hole is not a perfect circle. So the bulhead I bought seal off the hole leaks - even with me using a gasket and silicone.

I am above average with DIY work, but this has me stumped. Everything held up for a couple of days started leaking yestedY. Lowered water level, below weir door and liner holds water. But the water in the skimmer loses about 1/4" per hour.

So ticked. Gonna have to biy a new skimmer filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Can you try getting a larger bulkhead and making the hole a little bit bigger/rounder? Do they even make 4 inch bulkheads? Also, folks around here really like using PL Roofing Goop to seal stuff up. Maybe that will give you better luck than silicone? Sorry you're going through this!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. 4" bulkheads seem rare and expensize. I have the roof sealer, but the hole is so awkward the i think i need A bigger mechanical seal to keep any sealant in place - as you said a larger fitting. I am guessing that the suction on the water pump is not helping in that it exerts more negtive pressure on the silicone and likely is pulling it off the seal.

I even cut another gasket to fit around the hole but no luck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Why not a piece of liner on a solid piece of plastic or plywood and bolt it to the skimmer just like the faceplate? Ugly and invasive but better than tossing it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Take a picture of the hole, it will help us see what you are fighting maybe have some ideas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Attached are a few pics. One pic includes the old bulkhead with a club in installed to seal it off. I realized the plug held water, but the old bulkhead leaked. You can barely see in the same picture the that there was plumbers putty used to seal off the perimeter of the bulkhead.

The other pic includes the new bulk head I bought. When I installed the bulkhead, I placed the included gasket on the inside of the skimmer and also added a "cut your own" gasket with EPDM material for the outside. I add the second gasket because there was still small leak. I sandwiched both gaskets with silicone and well as "painting" the outside permitter with silicone. I let it sit for a day and it held water like a champ. Then I installed the skimmer and it started leaking Tuesday as I noticed the pond water level drop about 2".

Since Tuesday I have been testing for the leak by first turing off the pump. The water level still dropped, but at a slower pace. I then dropped the water level to just below the skimmer intake. The pump was removed as well so the the water had no choice by the stay in the skimmer "well" or inside area. The water level in the pond has not dropped. But the water level in the skimmer dropped 1 3/4" in about 12 hours.

Given the steps I have taken to isolate the leak, I am sure its the skimmer.

My worry with the skimmer is doing a fix that works until the cold Chicago winters and then constricts creating another leak. I do like the idea of using a piece of liner with plastic to seal the hole.

Attachments

• IMG_1639.JPG
    IMG_1639.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 222
  • 81AwaRG1YYL._SL1500_.jpg
    81AwaRG1YYL._SL1500_.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 214
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Got back at it today. New skimmer included. The old one was actually leaking form the bottom. Small crack. Got bit using Craigslist and hurt my budget big time. Here are a few pics. Almost done. Need to do final finishing and will add a bench. Used rubber mulch since it is more durable and long lasting (hopefully). So extra cost should be offset by lack of need to refresh the mulch every 1-2 years.

Will post picks of trench I made to run the electrical to the outlet box on the garage.

Attachments

• IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1678.JPG
    IMG_1678.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1679.JPG
    IMG_1679.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1680.JPG
    IMG_1680.JPG