But I don't like algae...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE YELLOW THIMBLE WITH BUG EYES
@GBBUDD , that supposed to be some sort of acronym?? 'Splain, Lucy!! And, jus' fer you..... :rolleyes:

oh, wait, @Jhn said I had to hit you with a lot more or else your attention span wanes...something like that...so....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Howdy, I'm looking for some ideas on how to control algae. I've got an 800 gallon pond. Guess I'll say it's a three level pond. The filter is the top level, which waterfalls into the mid-level which waterfalls into the lower level. It has some nice LED lighting and currently no fish or plants. I will probably put plants in eventually but until then I'd like to stop or at least slow down the algae that's growing all over the liner. I know this is a typical problem and has probably been hashed and rehashed many times but please bear with me. Anyway, the only way I found stop the algae is by using bleach in the pond. That's okay short term I suppose but I understand it's a little hard on the liner and eventually I'd like to have some live plants and bleach would be a no no then. So the question is, until I plant up, does anyone know of a reasonable way to control the algae?
Thanks in advance
I'll be honest.. I didn't read the other replies, but I'll say it anyway: Like the others said, just get yourself some plants. It doesn't have to be something crazy. I got water hyacinth. It was like $18 for 5 of them. They took over the entire pond and are flowering now. Before I got them, my pond was covered entirely in algae. The tubing, the liner... everything! I thought the fish would have algae on them!

Now? Nothing. Not a speck of algae. I have some fish in there but I do nothing for them. I don't even feed them. I don't clean the pond at all. It's 100% self sustaining.

Attachments

• pond.png
    pond.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Look at there amogi its not a thimble with bug eyes ?

MrB

MrB
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'll be honest.. I didn't read the other replies, but I'll say it anyway: Like the others said, just get yourself some plants. It doesn't have to be something crazy. I got water hyacinth. It was like $18 for 5 of them. They took over the entire pond and are flowering now. Before I got them, my pond was covered entirely in algae. The tubing, the liner... everything! I thought the fish would have algae on them!

Now? Nothing. Not a speck of algae. I have some fish in there but I do nothing for them. I don't even feed them. I don't clean the pond at all. It's 100% self sustaining.
Thx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Look at there amogi its not a thimble with bug eyes ?
dayum @GBBUDD ; you couldn't have been a child of the 60s, could ya? (LOL at 'thimble with bug eyes; one too many bugs get past the Harley windscreen, did they? {insert snicker smilie, jus fer GB!]

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

what reefer-guy isn't telling you though, is his FISH are now green with algae!!! heh heh

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Damn son your way the f off DISCO???????????? not this old man and drugs welll i don't drink or smoke and i don't need to im still living off the remnants from high school

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Damn son your way the f off DISCO???????????? not this old man and drugs welll i don't drink or smoke and i don't need to im still living off the remnants from high school
jus' messin' wit cha, GB! Got me worried with all that yellow thimble bug eyed talk...smirk! Not a fan of disco, either, though th BeeGees did do some toe tappin' stuff, once upon a time. I think it ran it's course and they kept it going too long; some fads do better to stop while they're ahead, dontcha know!

Ask a Question