Butterfly Koi with a mouth issue

Reaction score
Country
United States
A few days ago I noticed that my Butterfly Koi looked as though he had a mouth injury. I see no wounds or parasites . He is only eating out of half of his mouth but doesn't seem ill or appetite impaired. He is 2 years old and about 6 inches long. Any ideas??

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can you post a picture?

Welcome to our forum

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I agree with @addy1 , we need a picture. Is it possible something is stuck in his mouth , a small pebble?

Reaction score
If that fish is two years old and only six inches long I can guarantee you that it's not a butterfly koi or any other type of koi. At two years old a koi would be more in the 18-24 inch range.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wonder if fish can have a stroke? I have a goldfish thats about 4 years old. And today I noticed its mouth drooping on one side to the point its nose looks like a shark? I have had these fish a longtime and It was not like that a week ago? I dont think he can make it the way his mouth is twisted. Is there any disease that would cause this? I posted here because seems like the OP has the same problem?

Reaction score
It is definitely a butterfly koi.
Can you post a picture of the fish / injury? I know it can be hard to get a clear picture, but it could be helpful.

And @longhair you may want to make sure the fish doesn't have anything stuck in it's mouth. They have been known to get gravel or sticks stuck - they pick it up and then can't spit it out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can you post a picture of the fish / injury? I know it can be hard to get a clear picture, but it could be helpful.

And @longhair you may want to make sure the fish doesn't have anything stuck in it's mouth. They have been known to get gravel or sticks stuck - they pick it up and then can't spit it out.

Attachments

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States

Attachments

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question