can algae grow on fish

Reaction score
my biggest guy around 2 feet has some green patches. one on top of his fin, and some small patches on the sides of him. i believe he was injured by a heron some years back and has some pronounced scarring on his body. this is where the algae or some type of green stuff has formed or i think may have stuck to him as he likes to scrape his body on the sides of the liner where these is some algae. he seems to be himself, eating, etc. he is a lazy one, often hangs in the same spot for hours. thanks in advance.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I never seen it my self but if the big guy dont move much i could see it happen
Turtles have it growing on their shells

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
:surfing:Spring is here, there is green algae growing in the pond and looks like it's growing on my fish, what is it and what do you do? SAP or Saprolegnia , treat with Proform C and clean with a tooth brush.
I took a Koi test a while back and that was one of the questions. This was the correct answer. I've seen it once, one day the fish looked fine, the next two days I saw the green algae looking fungus the next day it was in the skimmer dead. Hopefully you can search Saprolegnia and get more information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi onemean, by salt bath I think he meant take the fish out and put in salty water for a few minutes. You have to watch the fish because sometimes they go into shock. My nicest fish was saved last year this way. He is is perfect health now. Adding extra salt to the pond won't do that much when the fish is so sick already.

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
I have seen this happen before. As someone suggested above, if a fish get's a fungus from a pond where the ammonia is too high and it has scraped up against something and removes some of the mucous on the body of the fish, the fungus will grow and if the pond is not in balance the algae will attach itself to this fungus.

People will bring their fish to us so that we can heal them of ulcers or fungus or anything else that the fish may have.
We usually medicate the pond with salt, we have a fabulous filtration system which keeps the water quality perfect and when the fish is brought here, I will remove the fish from the pond, dry off the infected area and put polysporin on it along with other things that I add to this concoction and in no time the fungus will disappear.

I quit using test kits years ago because of the readings I would get. One pond would have healthy looking Koi, looking for something to eat and readings will say that either ammonia and nitrites are high. Another pond will have fish that are sitting at the bottom of the pond, fins clamped and looking awful yet the kit will tell me that the water is perfect and this is with up to date kits.

I believe that water tests, if they are done should be taken from the bottom of the pond where the toxins congregate. Even so, I let my fish tell me how they are feeling and if they don't look right I try to think of what be the cause of the conditions of the water and it normally has to do with a filter that needs a good backwashing and/or a good water change.

Yours Koily, Lorraine

Reaction score
Country
United States
my biggest guy around 2 feet has some green patches. one on top of his fin, and some small patches on the sides of him. i believe he was injured by a heron some years back and has some pronounced scarring on his body. this is where the algae or some type of green stuff has formed or i think may have stuck to him as he likes to scrape his body on the sides of the liner where these is some algae. he seems to be himself, eating, etc. he is a lazy one, often hangs in the same spot for hours. thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My fish has the same thing. Big algae spot on his head and a couple small spots here and there. If I treat the pond for the algae will it go away? My fish guy said to take a credit card and just scrape it off of him? Didn’t really like that advice so searching for answers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Mcurley. Welcome to GPF! I hope your fish is okay. So the thread you posted to is over 10 years old. I would start a new one with the question you have. Btw the odds is your fish has some sort of bacteria/disease and it’s not algae. I have had tons of algae in my pond over the years and it never affected any fish.

Ask a Question