Can anyone explain this?

Reaction score
Hi all.
Something is bothering me. Since the increase in temps, i've been having a lot of algae forming on my water fall. The filter i am using is an Oase Filtoclear pressure filter. Out of curiosity I purchased one of these filter mesh sock things off the internet, and fitted it last night to my bio filter outlet which leads to the waterfall in question. Completely forgot I had done this, i've just checked the bag and it is full of algae. I thought the filter was supposed to deal with this, it also has a built in UV which I have checked and is working. Also the filter contains approx 10 different layers of filtration (fine foams, course foams etc) How is this stuff getting through all of this??? I just don't understand. I've checked the filter inside and out and nothing is damaged or broken.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The algae you are talking about helps filter your water .It is like the good muck on your liner .If it bothers you ,you can turn off your pump spray it with peroxide and wait a few minutes or use a toilet bowl brush to scrub some of it .In sun the peroxide takes about 10 minutes or so and when you turn your pump back on it will turn white and float away into filter heaven and peroxide just adds oxygen to the water .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The UV light will not help smear or string algae, only can reduce the pea green water effect caused by very tiny suspended bits of single cell algae that passes the the UV light. The smear or string algae does not pass threw the UV light, so it continues to grow. Excess string algae can be removed several ways, I like to just twirl the string algae around a stick and oull off. If the algae is on the waterfall area and hard to remove you will have to get aggressive and maybe try Sissy's method.

Planting lots of plants and sedges will help get rid of the excess nutrients that can lead to large amounts of string algae.

Reaction score
It gets thru it because those types of filters aren't designed to actually work. They're designed to be cheap and sell to people so seller make money. In order to sell these it's only necessary to say it works on the box and then have something in the box. Mats and pads are the cheapest material manufacturers can put in the box to fill it.

Ask a Question