Can this be converted into a indoor pond?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i had frogbit in my basement pond and it did great for a few months then just started slowly dying off until there wasnt any left. it was under a double 4' florecent fixture with standard florecent bulbs about 15" above. closer would probably been better. if i was to try plants in there again i'd probably try full sun spectrum bulbs, ultralux plant bulbs.

Reaction score
Its one of the reasons I thought this was such a good build. Any condensation, small leaks, water loss during maintenance and no problem with flooding the place. Water on concrete would make it to the wall and rot it out in short order, plus mildew. The design is smarter than the average bear.

Reaction score
After months of waiting we finally came to an agreement on the suites next to us! Now its time to start gathering the necessary equipment for this indoor pond.
What kind of filter system do ya'll think would be suitable for this pond? I calculated the total volume of this pond is about ~400-~450 gallons.
I was thinking possibly a Ultima II 1000 Filter System...mostly for its ease of use (not having to remove sponges or filter floss and spray them clean)
I been looking at this kit on koiacres http://www.koiacres.com/koi-acres-pr...-kit-1000.html
We want a system that would be big enough able to supply enough water to run the waterfall but also can be easily maintenanced!

Reaction score
I think you should look at this as an aquarium rather than a pond. You have experience with aquariums and this is 400 gal and indoors. Unless there's a way to place filters outside.

My suggestion would be to consider trickle water changes as your main filter system. It solves a lot of problems.

Reaction score
Haven't been on in awhile wanted to get back and give ya'll an update.
I got the pond up and running, right now I'm in the process of performing a fish-less cycle.

There's some little things I still have to do like add media to the addition bio-filtration tube.
But other than that it's pretty much good to go.
Here's a video:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Is that all the water it can take or can you add more .video keeps freezing for some reason on me .

Reaction score
Wow! That is incredible. The pond looks fabulous, and your pump/filtration closet is mind boggling. I would love to read any write up you have on the mechanics.

I have a small outdoor pond in central Florida, and I've kept a few cories (corydora's) as well as a betta along with my 4 goldfish. I'm sure they would do equally well, if not better, for you if you want some diversity.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks really nice and everything looks like it's working perfectly for ya
xmassmiley16.gif

Reaction score
Nice pipe work.

Small point that is probably nothing. The Brute trash can as a tank can split. They are not rated to hold the weight of water. Yours looks pretty thick and doesn't look like you fill it completely, so maybe you'll never have a problem. When they do split it's vertical and the entire length. Given this is indoors, and you have an auto fill, I would hate to take the risk when a 55 gal drum which is rated for holding water is only a few dollars compared to the amount of damage a flood could cause. Not sure if your drainage system could handle it.

Also no UV filter? Many people, virtually everyone, thinks algae needs lots of direct sun light. But not true. An indoor pond won't generally become super green, but they can become slightly green and/or cloudy.

Reaction score
WB, I think ... but I admit I'm totally not sure .. I think the brute is only used to hold water to get ready for replacement. I don't think it holds water all the time. Again, this is just my doing the I think this is what this does, I think the autofill is so that he can turn the water on to fill the brute up to the amount that will be used for a water change. If I'm seeing this right, the autofill is insurance against the tub overfilling with the water turned on. Then the brute tub is treated for decholorination, and used for a water change. Then it will sit virtually empty until the next water change.

My very first rain barrel is a rubbermaid, not even a brute. Cheap way to prove to hubby that it was worth it to invest in water barrels for rain water collection. It just went through it's third year. I totally did not expect it to last a single rainy season. But it is on the north side of our house and gets no sun light, and the water level waxes and wains; so I guess that tempers the stress somewhat. But yeah, if I had the funds I would use a barrel instead.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
True but older totes garbage cans and other plastics were stronger before they started using more recycled products to produce new plastics .I have even noticed that with glass products .I bought glasses for my kitchen made of recycled glass ( thought it would be ok ) after I put 5 of them in the dishwasher and only one of them made it out and this is a new dish washer with 3 washing arms in it and they were on the top rack in the glass holders and had to call repair to get the dishwasher up and working again .Thank god I had the warranty as the pump was ruined from pieces of glass .I have accidentally broke 3 newer totes just from putting them down on gravel and putting water in them to clean plant roots .

Reaction score
WB, I think ... but I admit I'm totally not sure .. I think the brute is only used to hold water to get ready for replacement. I don't think it holds water all the time. Again, this is just my doing the I think this is what this does, I think the autofill is so that he can turn the water on to fill the brute up to the amount that will be used for a water change. If I'm seeing this right, the autofill is insurance against the tub overfilling with the water turned on. Then the brute tub is treated for decholorination, and used for a water change. Then it will sit virtually empty until the next water change.
That's a vert smart set up having the auto fill safety. Very smart. And yes, no risk of spliting.

My very first rain barrel is a rubbermaid, not even a brute. Cheap way to prove to hubby that it was worth it to invest in water barrels for rain water collection. It just went through it's third year. I totally did not expect it to last a single rainy season. But it is on the north side of our house and gets no sun light, and the water level waxes and wains; so I guess that tempers the stress somewhat. But yeah, if I had the funds I would use a barrel instead.
One that I had split was in the ground. Split after maybe 2-3 months. My thinking was the earth would supply some support. I've had various Rubbermaid tubs, trashcans, last and last, and most never split on me. But I hate to confuse luck with structural ratings.

Ask a Question