Can Toad eggs cause Koi death?

Reaction score
Toads and toadpoles are toxic. Fish avoid them. Frogs and frog tadpoles they'll happily eat as a snack. Although some breeding pairs of toads are a normal part of a pond, and cause no problem, an overabundance of them breeding at the same time can kill koi. Frogs lay their eggs on the surface and leave. Toads sort of "stew" in the pond all night, as pairs, laying long strands of eggs all over everything. While they're in there, the males are constantly clouding the water with milt (sperm) and peeing. If there are more than a few pairs (and depending on your pond size) toads can kill off your koi within a day or 2.

Reaction score
Country
Sri Lanka
Hello I'm from Sri lanka and yes toad eggs can be toxic. But not all of them there are, some types of frogs are toxic and they will toxic to fishes around 12" or less and not sure about the large fishes. with my experience im 100% sure that frogs are the reason for few of my fishes death. when i had this problem i contacted a fish farmer,Exporter who has so many mud ponds to grow fishes and he told me that they protect their fishes from frogs and if mistakenly one frog lay eggs then he will face 10-15 dead fish floating next day. and the reason he told me is that when fish eat these eggs it will glue to the fishes intestine and this result in dead fish. but if you find a fish strugling to breath or behaving abnormal after eating then take him out of the pond and put him inside a separate basin for 3-4 days and put some air pump and dont feed him this way i saved 2 of my fishes. i dont know what happen but my fish went back to normal.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just to add, it is also likely that this army of toad tadpoles ate a substantial amount of the good bacteria coating the pond liner and pots and then excreted more ammonia than the now bacteria depleted system could handle sending an ammonia spike that weakened the Koi........(my aunt does not have a water test kit) so we will never know. :skull:
That sounds pretty far fetched. If there isn't enough good bacteria in the biofilter then what little is on other surfaces is doing very little.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
southern Ontario
Country
Canada
I have a good size Koi pond and have healthy Koi that I've kept for four years now. Yesterday, a Toad laid a string of eggs throughout my pond and today one of the Koi is dead; I found it floating this afternoon. I want to protect the 6 remaining and want any information about Toad eggs and Koi dying. Will eating the eggs cause them to die? Should I remove the eggs from the water? I've seen the others eating around them and wonder if I'll be seeing more die. The one that died was a beautiful pure white metallic butterfly Koi. The rest are all butterfly Koi. Please help, any answers will be appreciated.
Hi I have a Koi Pond , Toads lay their eggs in it every year, I try to remove the toad eggs , but some eggs do hatch, I have never had any issues with my Koi dying. or even attempting to eat the eggs or tadpoles ...... Sue London , Ontario Canada

Ask a Question