Carnivorous Plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Here's the CP mini bog with a new pitcher for us...S. flava v. cuprea x v. ornata 'Bullock Co GA' - the tall yellow pitcher in the rear.

There are three other sarracenia in there, as well as 3 VFTs, and 3 drosera intermedia (sundews).

The dews died back to the crowns this winter, which is very common.

I rake pine needles into black plastic bags, tie those off and use then around the bog, as well as piling pine needles inside it to protect the bog from freezing and thawing.

04 09 2014 (2).jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sunshine, How is your plant doing? How did you end up planting it?

I have not planted it yet. It's been in the 40's at night and only in the 50's through the day. But, we are headed for a warm up, scared it's going to snow again .. lol I will probably plant it this weekend. I'm thinking of putting it in a pot than set the pot in the bog. What do you think?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yea, We have been cold here too. But we are supposed to be heading for a warm up soon :)

I just went to Petittis garden center today and bought a small sarracenia sp. pitcher plant. I'm not sure what to do with it lol I remembered your thread and thought I would see what you ended up doing.

From what I have read on the internet I was thinking exactly what you just mentioned. Keep it in a pot and just set it right in the bog area.

My plant is pretty small and I don't have a true bog in my pond. The directions on the pot say to remove top cover and liner and then set the pot in a bowl of water in partial sun. Gonna have to think about this......

Here is what mine looks like:
sarraceniasp_zps5e14ad30.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Okay, while we were talking about this, I went out and planted it. Put it in a pot with sand and sphagnum moss and set it in the bog. About 1/4 inch in the water. I'll keep checking it to make sure it stays wet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I like yours. Mine is called a Purple Pitcher. I want to get a different one. I'll see how they do this year. In the past, they never did well when I would bring them in for the winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cool! I think I saw those at the store as well. Yours look a bit bigger than mine. What kind of water have you been using to water it?

I'm pretty sure we can't leave them outside over winter here but I did read that you can bring them indoors. Maybe even a garage or a shed? I don't have anywhere in the house that it will get enough light.

Your pot has a hole in the bottom right? I may use a clay pot for mine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Cool! I think I saw those at the store as well. Yours look a bit bigger than mine. What kind of water have you been using to water it?

I'm pretty sure we can't leave them outside over winter here but I did read that you can bring them indoors. Maybe even a garage or a shed? I don't have anywhere in the house that it will get enough light.

Your pot has a hole in the bottom right? I may use a clay pot for mine.

I bought the bigger one, it was $10. They had smaller ones for $5. I have been using bottle water while it was waiting to be planted. I used a painted clay pot. It has 2 holes on bottom. Since bringing them in the house has never worked for me, maybe I will try the basement this winter. I heard they go dormant, so I don't know if that means they don't need light or not.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmm, I have a feeling Petittis is a bit expensive (first time I have been there) the little plant I bought was $9.00 But hey, I wanted to buy something lol

I read that while dormant they still need water but did not say anything about light. I guess they are tolerant to cold for short periods of time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I got mine at Lowes. That's why they were cheap. I looked at our garden center, didn't see any. I read that about the weather also. What I read said they could only handle short periods of freeze. Ohio weather is not that. Especially this past winter. I even tried a terrarium one year. They still died.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine all stay out all winter they die back, we did get to -10 this winter lots of snow, freezing etc. Currently all are sending up flower buds. I just groomed the old leaves off of them. Mine are also land planted, peat and sand, a wet dry cycle which is what they like. Dry when I forget to water them, wet when we get lots of rain............

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
very nice! some of mine are short, others tall. Greens and reds, mottled striped they are neat. The flowers are really neat looking they are just now coming up.
DSC07051.JPG
DSC07050.JPG

Ask a Question