j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow what a burst of color from that Clematis! Your pond has many lovely blooms all around it. Love your bridge!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful!
The deer, currently, are eating the day lily buds off.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The deer, currently, are eating the day lily buds off.
I ended up giving away all my day lilies that I had in the front because I never got to see them flower because of the deer.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The deer have already eaten the buds from my sedum, purple cone flowers, cosmos and zinnias in the front yard. The leave the Shasta daisies and lavender alone. Doesn't make for a pretty flower garden, but I hate putting a fence around the garden; it kind of defeats the purpose of beauty. My backyard is completely fenced in, so flowers and vegies are safe there....so far!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I feel your pain @MoonShadows . This is what I did the year before I gave away all my day lilies. The cages ended up not being large enough and the deer were able to eat the flower buds that went through the cage, and as you said, the cages kind of defeated the purpose of beauty! The other flower bed looked even worse - I had 6 foot poles and deer netting all over it.

deer protection (2a).JPG

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I am slowly replacing "deer favorite" plants with deer resistant plants wherever I can in areas that are not fenced in. I still have to "cage" young trees to keep the deer from rubbing their antlers on them and taking off the bark. I get angry, but then again, its just deer being deer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's why when people say how much they love to see deer in the neighborhood, I'm like ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? We had one older neighbor who used to buy dried corn in 50 lb bags and apples by the bushel and put out salt licks for them around our neighborhood ponds. It only encouraged them to come closer to the houses where they started in on everyone's landscape. Yes, they are only trying to survive, but let's not encourage them to dine on the shrubbery.

I'm battling a rabbit right now who has taken a liking to my flower garden. I have TONS of greens growing in my vegetable garden and I'm more than happy to share. Just leave my flowers alone!

On a side note - anybody got a recipe for rabbit? :whistle:

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We had one older neighbor who used to buy dried corn in 50 lb bags and apples by the bushel and put out salt licks for them
Yep. In my neighborhood, I know of at least 6 people that are feeding the deer. I just came in from outside. Two of these right next door. When I walk the dog, deer will come withing 10 feet of us and not budge. I end up walking in the street as they stand on the sidewalk! o_O
2015 baby deer in devil strip.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Until you've had your thousands of dollars of shrubbery stripped bare by a neighborhood deer it's hard to imagine the feeling. And yes, I realize they were here first. But if the humans would behave appropriately, the animals would too!

@cas - years ago one of our other nutty neighbors found a fawn in her yard and BROUGHT IT IN THE HOUSE. Then she called the police to report a lost fawn. The police came, asked her to show them where she found it, they put it back under the bushes and told her to never touch a wild animal again. haha! People do be crazy!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
People that encourage deer into neighbourhoods do not realize how dangerous deer can be.
A few years ago in BC someone caught on video a deer attacking a cat and dog.
I would hate to hear of one of your pets being attacked.
*Do not watch this video if you are sensitive to watching violence between animals.*

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The mama was looking out for her baby - I get that. But deer can indeed be dangerous - my uncle was attacked by a buck in a cornfield once. He got beat up pretty badly.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've got a nutty neighbor too. When these two were born, one of them was in the shrubs and the guy was going to go in and pick it up to bring it out for his wife to see. Thank goodness she told him to leave it be.
I think I need to share that video with some of the neighbors......

Ask a Question