1000 gallon garden pond

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Can you buy those filters like that or do you buy rolls of Matala filter and roll it to fit inside? Do you remember the manufacturer of the waterfall?
The filters come already rolled. I got mine from 'thewatergardener.com'. They come in different sizes and densities.
I don't remember what the manufacturer of my waterfall box is.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thought I would share some pictures of my moss. I use to be disappointed in all the splashing of the water in my waterfall. Then @GBBUDD starts talking about his love of moss. I have moss growing all over that I am constantly throwing out. So a couple of years ago I put some in my waterfall. I didn't think it would take because it is in full sun. Then I thought it wouldn't last through the winter. Ha! That stuff is pretty hardy. I started with some small pieces and it has nicely covered the rocks. I just have added two more pieces to some rocks that get a lot of spray from the waterfall. Now I don't feel bad about all the splashing in my waterfall. It is now serving a purpose in keeping the moss moist.

moss 2021-5-31 (1).JPG

moss 2021-5-31 (2).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thought I would share some pictures of my moss. I use to be disappointed in all the splashing of the water in my waterfall. Then @GBBUDD starts talking about his love of moss. I have moss growing all over that I am constantly throwing out. So a couple of years ago I put some in my waterfall. I didn't think it would take because it is in full sun. Then I thought it wouldn't last through the winter. Ha! That stuff is pretty hardy. I started with some small pieces and it has nicely covered the rocks. I just have added two more pieces to some rocks that get a lot of spray from the waterfall. Now I don't feel bad about all the splashing in my waterfall. It is now serving a purpose in keeping the moss moist.

View attachment 139577

View attachment 139578
same thing happened to me, cas; when I redid my pond and started out with all new waterfall bouders, I had this vision of plants on top with some sort of greenery working its way down between the two and on either side. I planted creeping jenny in two pots and hoped in time they'd overgrow to hide the pots and fill out over the rocks. That worked better than I could have imagined, esp since when I cover the pond with the pond tent for winter, the creeping jenny stays alive and continues growing, albeit slowly. Now, the other side didn't have this and I noticed some moss growing. Well, just like the creeping jenny, it stayed alive and grew under the tent just because I had the waterfall still running. Surprised the heck out of me when I opened it up for spring last year! Below, a before and after pic of the moss-on-a-rock, just like yours!

190801 - pond, blue star wl 49.jpg

210502 - pond, bog, frogs, fish, overview 12.jpg

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Love it @brokensword ! I might have to plant some creeping jenny in pots. I always wondered how to get some greenery on the rocks.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@brokensword why don't you have a thread or a showcase about your pond? You have so many items to share - your screened in pond, making realistic planting rings, making the fake logs, your winter cover for your pond, the plants in and around your pond, and more (don't you have a turtle too?). I've saved some of the information you have posted, but would love it if I could go and reread some of the items you have posted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@brokensword why don't you have a thread or a showcase about your pond? You have so many items to share - your screened in pond, making realistic planting rings, making the fake logs, your winter cover for your pond, the plants in and around your pond, and more (don't you have a turtle too?). I've saved some of the information you have posted, but would love it if I could go and reread some of the items you have posted.
wwwweeeeelllllll, no one's ever asked before!! I'll see what I can do...got enough pics, at least!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
And here is a view of the new stone path to the pond.
View attachment 141134
but, but...but it's not wide enough for a bench, cas!!!!! How ya gonna plunk yer butt (sorry about yet another of these!) down to set a while?

Looking good! Always wanted to do something like this around my whole yard, along the edge of the gardens so I could walk the yard in the morning without getting my feet wet with dew.

You probably SENT that week of rain north, didn'tcha, cas? I know it was miserable most of the time here, too! NEVER seen the amount of rainy days in the middle of summer in all my life! I'm a landscaper and have to work outdoors, so it's been touch and go--I mean, the rain touches me and I GO! To some other city, of course, then mosey on back when it's over. Weeds growing everywhere now in my gardens--too wet and mosquito-ey to do anything about it LAST week; hopefully this one is better and I can get the yard back in shape!

Great looking pond, cas!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We had such a down pour that i had 3 large koi go over the negative edge my cicstern has a 2 foot depression that was a pond of its own untill it soaked into the ground. My moss that i love that had grown and lined the stream to hells gate all got washed away along with the wild orchid and fern.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We had such a down pour that i had 3 large koi go over the negative edge
Wow. We got a lot of rain (2 1/2 inches in one day), but it came down gradual. The downpours were north and south of me and some of the roads were covered with water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was sitting when I took the pic!
ha, uh, well...how ya gonna see the fish from THAT far away??? I mean really, I asks ya how??? Ya gots ta have it near enough to fall in if you're looking for that one specific fish, you know? (actually, I tell my wife all the time; walk BETWEEN the chairs, don't go around; if you fall in, better not to hit the water!)

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Wow. We got a lot of rain (2 1/2 inches in one day), but it came down gradual. The downpours were north and south of me and some of the roads were covered with water.
Didn’t get much rain here but there was some flooding and a couple people died about 30 minutes from us….

Ask a Question