1000 gallon garden pond

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I thought some of the plants were starting late this year so I compared today to a picture of the same time last year. The phlox just about all died back and did not bloom this year, and the forget-me-nots at the base of the waterfall are just now starting to recover. The blue flag iris actually looks better - cold, long winters must agree with it.

Comparison 2021 and 2022 May 20.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It's interesting how things change from year to year. Last year our lilac bush was glorious, this year I could count the blooms on my hands.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yeah my weeping red bud this year was very disappointing.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yes, my dogwood had very few blooms this year, but last year was full.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This year our redbuds, dogwoods, lilac etc all blooming like crazy, totally covered with flowers.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
After getting estimates of $4500 - $5000 to replace the liner (and that's with me removing most of the rock, removing the plants from around the parameter, finishing the edge of the pond when they were done - putting all the rocks back), I decided to see if I could fix the leak issue on my own, without having to replace the liner.

I cut back or removed the plants from round the pond. My brother-in-law came over to help me move the large rock where I knew there was a hole and we raised the liner so that the hole was above the water line. Then I removed all the rock on two sides of the pond and looked for leaks and raised the liner. I found two areas that were low.

Added 3 inches of water to the pond and waited. No water loss! Even with the waterfall running, the level of the pond did not change. Waited for a couple of days and water stayed at the same level.

Put all the rocks back, but decided to not put back the plants around the edge of the pond for now. It looks a little bare, but I am getting use to it. Below is a picture of the pond before the work began, and after.

Comparison 2022 July 10,19 after fix leak.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Damn, nice way to keep 4500 bucks for your own things ahah...
So now you can buy some expensive kois ahahah...

Nice to read that with some help ou made it :) some beers for your brother in law ahah

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Looks great! Glad you were able to fix the liner without having to completely redo everything.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cas it is sooooo easy to put on a patch to epdm . If your interested I'll walk you through it

Ask a Question