cas's pond

1000 gallon garden pond
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
I love this pond :O will steal ur blue flag iris idea too, so i will have yellow and blues...

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
First time since January 17 that the snow is off some of the pond and I can see ice. And first time I could verify that the pond breather is still working. I am so thankful that I had the pond breather this year. I don't think having just the aerator would have been enough. Can't wait until spring to make sure the fish made it.

2022-2-12 (1).JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
First time since January 17 that the snow is off some of the pond and I can see ice. And first time I could verify that the pond breather is still working. I am so thankful that I had the pond breather this year. I don't think having just the aerator would have been enough. Can't wait until spring to make sure the fish made it.

View attachment 147577
Oh there is a pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You just place a 2x across to create a leen to over the pond ?

First year I kept the water running though not with 12000 gph but closer to 4500.
The lights are glowing from under 6 inches of ice
20220211_224818.jpg
20220212_114915.jpg
so even though the aerator was running I had opposite ends of the pond open due to waterfalls . Here's a shot of the pond at night I left the lights on so any intruders would realy question walking on that area.

Last edited:

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What a pretty view with the lights under the ice.

The 2x4 is there to keep the net raised. The first year I had the pond breather, before the pond iced over, wet snow laid on the net which in turn pushed the pond breather below water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

The 2x4 is there to keep the net raised. The first year I had the pond breather, before the pond iced over, wet snow laid on the net which in turn pushed the pond breather below water.
never realized you used a net

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

The picture doesn't do it justice

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Finally! The ice is off the pond. The water is murky towards the bottom, but I am sure it will clear once the pump is started. Next Saturday it is to drop to 18 degrees, so I think I will wait a little longer before I put the pump in.

I saw 14 of the 15 fish today. My old timers made it! So happy! A 17 year old comet that has turned all white in it's old age, a 16 year old sarasa whose color is as bright as when I got him and a 15 year old white goldfish that was born in the pond. I had no idea that these goldfish would live this long. And my 16 and 13 year old koi made it too. Woohoo!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Haven't been able to work much on the pond the last couple of weeks. I still haven't replaced the pond breather with the aerator, but that's OK, only 28 degrees yesterday morning and frost on the ground.
2022-4-28 kitchen.JPG

Here is the 'crew':

fish (1) 2022-4-28.JPG

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Wow! It's beautiful! And those koi are stunning (and look like they're mooching for food).

When you wrote "only 28 degrees" I at first thought you meant Celsius, and thought only?; that's awfully warm... Then I realized you meant Fahrenheit. Rather chilly!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Just noticing all of the moss on your waterfall too!

Ask a Question