1000 gallon garden pond

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Cas it is sooooo easy to put on a patch to epdm . If your interested I'll walk you through it
Thanks @GBBUDD . But with the liner being 18 years old and the hole was where there were a couple of folds, I just didn't think I could smooth out the liner enough to try to patch it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your call.
But for a hole and.not a seem it's should be a piece of cake

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
18 years on epdm that has not seen the sun is like 5 year old rubber that's been in the sun

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
So, you raised the hole above the water level, is that correct? Your pond is lovely and I'm glad ou were able to resolve the leak without dismantling everything!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So, you raised the hole above the water level, is that correct?
Yes. Moved the rock forward a little so the liner could be raised.

I'm glad I didn't have to redo the waterfall. I'm sure if I would have paid someone else do the work, they wouldn't have built it the way I wanted and it's taken me 18 years to get it the way I like.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Glad to hear you got it solved. So the $5,000 estimate was just to remove the old liner and replace with new? That's it?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So the $5,000 estimate was just to remove the old liner and replace with new? That's it?
Liner, underlayment, dismantle and rebuild the waterfall. And then one company told me I had to replace my skimmer because the liner wouldn't attach correctly to the existing skimmer. Then they said I would probably need some flex pipe to connect the pump in the new skimmer. All the companies (3) quoted me a price for the liner of around $1,000 or over. I could get it from WebbsOnline for $585 and that included shipping. They said that is what the supplier is charging them. Huh? One company was charging me for rocks and another said they could use my rocks and I would have rocks left over.

The thing is, I could do it myself with the help of my brother-in-law to do some of the heavy lifting. I just know it would have taken me longer than the 3 days the companies were quoting me for them to complete the work. If I didn't have the fish to worry about I would have done it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So how are you spending all that money you “earned”? (That’s the way that works, right?)

Looks great @cas ! A little refresh is never a bad thing!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So I had some time to actually sit next to the pond and enjoy the fish today. I noticed that two of the baby goldfish seemed to have grown a lot compared to the others. I looked more closely and then I saw that they had barbels! Baby koi or hybrids! They are more shy than the other fish so I can't see if they have a single pair of barbels or two to determine if they are pure koi or a goldfish/koi hybrid. I didn't think any of my koi were female, but there is/was a female goldfish. I think they are from the spawning where I gave away a lot of the babies. Won't those people be surprised how big their 'goldfish' is getting!

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
So I had some time to actually sit next to the pond and enjoy the fish today. I noticed that two of the baby goldfish seemed to have grown a lot compared to the others. I looked more closely and then I saw that they had barbels! Baby koi or hybrids! They are more shy than the other fish so I can't see if they have a single pair of barbels or two to determine if they are pure koi or a goldfish/koi hybrid. I didn't think any of my koi were female, but there is/was a female goldfish. I think they are from the spawning where I gave away a lot of the babies. Won't those people be surprised how big their 'goldfish' is getting!
I never even knew that goldfish and koi could interbreed. How big do the offspring get? And are they sterile, like so many other hybrids?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
I never even knew that goldfish and koi could interbreed. How big do the offspring get? And are they sterile, like so many other hybrids?
They are sterile, usually can identify em coz have only 1 pair barbers...
The dimensions is between gfs and kois...infos that i found on net

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just found some koi / gold fish mix. they are wiggle buts and koi mix. very short stumpy body big tail big head with barbs. very very odd fish . but for the size i added three for breeding purposes

Ask a Question