sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I showed it in the stock tank to show that every 5 ft or so it has a unribbed section that you cut at .This way you can put the clamps on it .Had the hose in my pond for years now .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm never in favor of "cheapest" - you want components that will last a long time at a reasonable price. What's your purpose and goal? If it's something you can easily replace if it cracks or wears out, then cheapest is probably ok (if you enjoy replacing and changing hosing that is!)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My sump pump hose has been on my pond for 11 years now so guessing it lasts.I also had sump pump hose on my sump pump in NJ and it was there the 10 years I was there and to this day it is now 21 years old and still good .I tried that stupid ribbed hose the sell for ponds 1 time and it cracked over the winter ,plus it is hard to get the clamps to stay tight and not leak .It was brand new in a box of stuff I bought at an auction as was the rubber hose I have
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:42111]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:42110]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
YEP THANKS and being made for sump pumps it must be made to last .I bought 1 of mine at a plumbing supply store and it was only 6.97 and I was sure it would be more expensive there .No packing just wired and fittings were wired to it also

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Jason Cheap isnt the way to do things , cut corners like that and your opening yourself up to a whole heap of problems your pond draining being one of them.
I have a friend in the UK who's ribbed flexy hose split emptyig all but a foot of his pond out in one .

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not sure people know just how sturdy sump pump hose is and he does have a budget and can always change things later .Any way with ponds you are always changing as the budget allows or you see you want to do things different .Just because it is cheap does not mean it is crap .That hose I showed that cracked was a 98 dollar hose if bought new .That was after 1 winter here .Just because they say it works or is better because you are paying more money does not mean it is better .Like my house factory built 2440 sq.ft house can do 60 miles down the road for 67 thousand and stick built house next door 179 thousand and built like crap ,I watched it being built .Building inspector knew builder and passed it .My house built with 2x6 studs and on a steel frame that house built with 2 x4 studs and final cost of my house with well and basement and septic tank was 89 thousand .The house next door 1340 sq.ft. .The new owners tried to sell it after problems with it and home inspector for new couple found to many problems and they backed out price was 149 thousand resale needed at least 20 thousand in repairs .Nothing is ever as good as it looks .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wasn't suggesting sump pump hose wasn't durable. I was responding to the "cheapest" part of the question. And since all my plumbing is buried at least 12 inches under ground, buying cheap and upgrading later was not an option. Sump pump hose might be exactly the answer Jason is looking for depending on how he plans to use it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
most times with submerged you don't bury it ,I have mine zipped tied to the side edge of the pond this way if it leaks it leaks inside the pond .Plus until he is sure he is going to stay with all those pumps he would be able to cheaply change it .With electric rates these days I guess that will depend on his first electric bill .I know my aunt lives in Florida and it is not cheap and he may have to bite the bullet on the pumps .With a first time home buyer every little extra dollar counts .I look at the dollars every day just flying out the door .But that will really depend on him .I know I cringe when my electric bill is over 150 dollars .I think these days we all need that extra dollar in our pockets as prices every where are going up .Gosh where is that under a dollar gas . :cheerful: I don't mind being called cheap at buying stuff .I can't take it with me but I want to leave something for my son's :bye2:

Reaction score
I use smooth wall vinyl or rubber hosing with cross-woven reinforcing threads. I select the tubing which has no ribs (just smooth inner walls) to improve the laminar flow and reduce head pressure due to friction and eddies. It is not inexpensive and it is not as flexible, but it is long lasting and hardy during freezes.

Gordy

Reaction score
I also have some of the sump pump hose. I figured it would be just temporary, since it was so cheap. I've had to replace the much more expensive corrugated pond tubing twice while the sump pump hose just keeps on keeping on.

I would definitely prefer the clear hose with the reinforcing hose to any other hose.

However, pvc pipe is way cheaper and much more durable. Once I know for sure where I want the water to go, I like to switch to that.

Ask a Question