Cleaning a submersible filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
Been grappling with this problem all summer - I have a submersible with an outer casing that's supposed to stop solid matter reaching and blocking the intake. In terms of easy "get the filter from the bottom" solutions, I attached a chain round the filter and a hook on the side of the pond, so I could lift it up easily. This worked, it's convenient.

But the intake inside the useless outer casing is about 1 inch square, and that still got clogged easily - stuff gets past the outer casing. Next I tried removing the casing completely and adding a long tube to the inlet, with the end floating near the surface, covered by nylon stocking. Again the actual intake is small, so it got blocked after 30 minutes - didn't work.

Obviously the problem is the size of the intake - if you have a really huge one then it's much harder for that to get completely blocked. So in the end I took the pump out of the useless casing and put it into doublelined (ie one inside the other) large aquatic square plant baskets, the ones with the holes on the sides. This sits on the ledge in the pond, a huge gunnera leaf covers it so you don't see it and it's finally solved the problem of easy access to the pump.

basket.JPG

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If I choose a pressurized filter, how necessary/desired is it to have a pressurized filter WITH a UV light?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Point of UV is to clump suspended algae together to make larger particles for the filter to strain out, so need to be in the system before any filtration takes place. They can clear a green pond in a surprisingly very short time....provided they're matched to the pump size if they're a separate item. Water needs to flow past them at a certain rate, too fast a flow means you won't get the full benefit.
Pros and cons for either type I guess, a few thoughts here......mine is integrated, in my previous system it was separate but we still run year round as did the filter as it fed the waterfall to keep the ice open. Takes up less space if all in one, need room for the UV unit if not. All in one systems means the UV runs all the while the filter is working, which in my case is permanently 365, you can chose when to operate a separate one, manually or time switched. Whether the integrated type can be switched off, I guess would depend on the brand, mine can't. Whether you can just leave the UV tube out of the setup and run without the tube in position, I have no idea, personally not looked into it as I feel if it's there, why not use it? I don't know anything much about electrics, that was 'one' my late d/h's many jobs :-(
Hope this helps:) Perhaps we need one of the more experienced ponders to dive in here, I'm only relaying what info I have learnt/discovered/know, so I hope what I've told is correct......others may well have other opinions.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@moby thanks for that explanation. I like the Hozelock combos, but they only seem to be available in the UK.
@Patfish I am not familiar with Pond Boss or Aquanique. I will look into them a little further.

So far, I have looked at two...both are larger than I need for my 425 gallon pond, but it leaves me room for growth...which I want to do.

The first is the Aquascape UltraKlean™ 1500 Filtration Kit
http://www.aquascapeinc.com/products/ultraklean-filtration-kits
Cost: $423.98
ultraklean-filtration-kit.png

The second is the Laguna ClearFlo 1000 Complete Pump, Filter and UV Kit (includes 25' of hose and hose clamps)
http://www.lagunaponds.com/en_us/laguna-clearflo-1000-complete-pump-filter-and-uv-kit/
Cost: $359.99
pt1730_clearflo_kit_new_1.jpg

Does anyone out there have any experience with either of these or have an opinion of Aquascape vs. Laguna?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone out there have any experience with either of these or have an opinion of Aquascape vs. Laguna?

I'm hoping for you that they've solved the problem of gunk getting into the pump intake, but the pump with my perennial "gets clogged" problem that I describe a few posts up is actually a 5 year old Laguna. Works magnificently other than I had to solve its getting clogged problem with a couple of planters.

UV, I've had integrated UV for about 10 years, replaced them every couple of years, never had green water problems whilst having it. Works like a charm. My understanding is that it is short wave UV (hence it is covered), which is dangerous to living organisms, and kills algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
You are most welcome Mr Moonshadows.
One other thing that I do know for certain, you can never over filter a pond, however, its very easy to underfilter one though. Fish grow and can reproduce whilst your head is turned, and what started out as an understocked pond can reach, and exceed its max stocking level in a relatively short time.
Plus when visiting the fish stores it's very tempting to come home with a bag of brightly coloured types. I practised great restraint this morning...... but only just. I considered either a couple (or so!) of fantails which I haven't yet got, or some more colourful shubunkins as I like to have both variety in colour and shape. Having pondered the added strain on my already well stocked fish pool, I reluctantly came away empty handed apart from a hastily scribbled note regarding the price of an air pump I was interested in. Bagged one off Amazon much cheaper on my return :) I don't appear to raise any offspring (of the piscatorial type!) maybe because the big fish follow the breeders around, snacking on caviar.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks for the feedback @johan and @moby. 3 months and we have no offspring, although I have witnessed mating behaviors. Perhaps because I don't have many plants for them to survive. As far as buying new fish. I am quite content with my 8 comets....so far!

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks for the feedback @johan and @moby. 3 months and we have no offspring, although I have witnessed mating behaviors. Perhaps because I don't have many plants for them to survive. As far as buying new fish. I am quite content with my 8 comets....so far!
Mine are all comes and shubunkins feeder fish for .15 each got last fall and this week I saw one baby when I cleaned the pond.

Ask a Question