Close Call

Reaction score
UGH! Where to begin. Okay, I get home from the store today and my husband says "there may or may not be a dead iguana in the pond". So I start freaking, imagining all sorts of dead fish, stinking water, terrible images. We go out to the pond, but its still too green to see all the way down, so I decide to let out some water.

So we start, its a bit of a slow process. SO we come back in, went back out, come back in .... then the kids start fighting. My husband says he's going to take them to the beach. Visions of a nap dance before my eyes.

They leave, I hop in the bed.

Anyone see a problem yet? Yup, the pond is still draining.

I'm trying to nap, but within 30 mins the kids are back. They start making lots of noise playing so I get up and its flashes - THE POND IS DRAINING!!!!!!!!! I run outside (not even dressed), quickly unplug it. The pond has about 1/4 of the water in it.

That was close! With the pond so low I got in took care of some lilies. cleaned it up a bit and am now slowly adding in some water.

Question - I wonder if its dangerous for me to leave it half full over night. I'd like to give that water time to go through the UV and filter several times overnight.

Anyone have any thoughts?? @Meyer Jordan

BTW - there was no dead iguana in the pond. The stupid things play dead like a possum to trick the dogs.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You should be fine, 12 hours later stating, let us know how things turn out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I see no problem either, maybe add some extra aeration for the fish. If you have tapered walls there may actually be less than half the water in there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
When my pond drained down to about 14" in January/winter few years ago, I HAD to fill it slowly, as the water in the well was far warmer than the water in the pond. I filled it over 1.5 days, and the fish did great. Filling it slowly is best. Glad you caught it in time. Whew!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I agree with above posts. I'd fill slowly and add aeration. Read on another koi forum of a total loss , due to pond draining - so sad. It's easy to get distracted and forget, so glad no bad outcome.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm late but you did the right thing. The minute I do a partial drain or fill of the pond I set some kind of timer alarm near wherever I am gonna be.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Should be OK. Have had a similar experience, but didn't have any de-chlorinator to add to the water at the time, so had to wait over night. Continue with filtration and aeration. I now have a cartridge that deactivates chlorine and chloramines -- goes on the water hose. I still add the water slowly (spray or shower it in).

Reaction score
I use well water and it seems to match up the pond almost perfectly temp and PH.

I am ALWAYS so careful about this, after reading so many horror stories of people doing exactly that, but the kids just got out of hand and it was an unusual situation. If I was cleaning the filters I would be out there running around, keeping an eye on things.

Mark it down as another one of 'those stories' to remind you not to get distracted when dealing with your pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use well water and it seems to match up the pond almost perfectly temp and PH.

I am ALWAYS so careful about this, after reading so many horror stories of people doing exactly that, but the kids just got out of hand and it was an unusual situation. If I was cleaning the filters I would be out there running around, keeping an eye on things.

Mark it down as another one of 'those stories' to remind you not to get distracted when dealing with your pond.
Two things I do now, any time I'm draining or filling the pond (I know, overkill) -- I set my watch on "chrono" so I have a visual reminder of elapsed time, AND I set the timer on my watch so that it beeps at regular intervals as an auditory reminder ("oh yeah, pond's draining"). That's just if I'm going to be outside while this is going on. If I'm going in the house, I also set the timer on the oven. I AM forgetful, and I WILL forget that I have water going or a drain going!

So glad it all worked out!

Reaction score
I've read a few people have shut off alarms for the pond when it gets too low. I have no clue what that is and it sounds complicated to hook up, but it sure would be useful if you sprung a leak over night to know your pump will shut off.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
I have the opposite problem. I always wander off and forget when I'm FILLING after a partial water change. And of course, I overflow the edges every time. I need to do what @j.w does and set an alarm reminder for myself! Glad it was only a "close call," Priscilla!!

Ask a Question