Concerned about my comet

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Happy Spring everyone! It has finally arrived in Canada also. I have a 5 in. comet who overwintered in the pond, 85 gal stock tank. About 10 days ago I took the tarp off and put the pump in. As the water warmed up above 50 degrees he emerged from the fish cave and started eating ( and pooping ) all good. What concerns me is when he is at rest he appears to tilt or lean a little to one side. Not a lot and once he begins swimming he wiggles and straightens out and appears perfectly normal. I did a partial water change when I set the pump up and tested ( liquid test kit ) again yesterday. PH -6.5 to 7 Ammonia - 0 to .01 Nitrite - 0 Nitrate 5 . So all good. Its bare bottom tank so no decaying plant matter or other contaminates that I can see. He has been eating mostly algae tabs and a pellet or 2 of wheat germ food. He's not too comfortable coming to the surface and still spending a lot of time in the fish cave. Until I can get some floating plants that's his only cover though. It has cooled off again and that will last for a few days. The pond was only 58 degrees this morning. May get colder. I am thinking about turning up the fountain pressure and adding an airstone. I just didn't want to hammer him with a bunch of turbulance right away. I also filled some water buckets so I could do another partial water change tomorrow. Those are the only ideas I have and maybe he's just fine??? Its my first experience with a hibernation fish. Right now he is alone in there but I have 2 more that I kept in an aquarium all winter. I want to repatriate them to the pond ASAP but want to be sure the comet is strong and healthy first. Comments and advise much appreciated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
start right and stress coat in the aquarium trades is great to help a fish build up it's immune system. I WOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT TURBULANCE. i kinda doubt your thinking of putting a 5000 gph pump into a compound bucket or small preform. fish most anyways find some water movement as a game a water park.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a fish that was too vertical and or tilted. She did recover. I wouldn't change anything too drastically and see if yours recovers and gets its balance as it warms up to full activity and metabolism.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
start right and stress coat in the aquarium trades is great to help a fish build up it's immune system. I WOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT TURBULANCE. i kinda doubt your thinking of putting a 5000 gph pump into a compound bucket or small preform. fish most anyways find some water movement as a game a water park.
LOL That's true. Even in the aquarium they body surf off the current from the Hob.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You might stop feeding for a few days too, especially if the water is still cold. Sometimes they eat but can’t properly digest the food because of the cold.

Ask a Question