addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Would there be any issues with the fact the pool/pond is in full sun the majority of the day?
All of my ponds are full sun, it has never been a issue. I do filter with only a big bog which keeps down the nutrients that would cause massive algae growth with that nice warm sunshine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in awe of how helpful you all are!

Okay so bog filter sounds like a non-negotiable and sounds pretty doable.

My purpose for this pond I guess is just to compliment the garden and encourage sustainability. I would like to use the pond water for my garden plants as well because it is so good for them. I also just really want one pet largemouth that I can handfeed.

Another issue I feel like I will have (for those of you still interested) is creating a natural, living border around the pond on top of the concrete. I am unsure if I want to add boulders/dirt on top or create a hanging/floating system that rests on the inside of the pool.

I have several petty neighborhood cats, any chance they would scoop out the fish?

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Yes! We did it, we made another person think bogs are non-negotiable! ( they are freaking amazing though )

I think you should be fine with a largemouth, as they are fine with warmer water, just make sure you have plenty of aeration. ( bog spilling into the pond should provide enough ) I believe I have seen several youtubers in warmer climates keeping them withought problem in much smaller systems. Also be aware of restrictions in your area if there are any.

Making the edge of the pools natural is the main thing I think of whenever someone mentions converting a pool into a pond, as 90 degree dropoffs with perfectly straight sides are by no means natural. You could possibly place a few large boulders with some plants around the pond area to make it a bit more natural, although I cant really think of anything beyond that withough reaching very deep into your wallet.

Cats are probably the least of your problems when it comes to predators, and with how deep and how sudden a pools water is, fish can simply swim down and away into the deep end if they feel threatened.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

My purpose for this pond I guess is just to compliment the garden and encourage sustainability. I would like to use the pond water for my garden plants as well because it is so good for them. I also just really want one pet largemouth that I can handfeed.

Another issue I feel like I will have (for those of you still interested) is creating a natural, living border around the pond on top of the concrete. I am unsure if I want to add boulders/dirt on top or create a hanging/floating system that rests on the inside of the pool.

I have several petty neighborhood cats, any chance they would scoop out the fish?

You'll thank us after you get up and running and start cussing every weekend that you don't get to clean the filter....

With your deep end, the water should stay cool enough, I'd imagine, should any fish not handle the warmer summer temps near the top.

Were it mine, I 'd definitely be thinking of bringing in soil and creating some berms which you'd naturally slope out to look part of your landscape. Would take some creativity and labor, but you could create some shelves around the perimeter IN the water, upon which you could place some rocks to disrupt the straight pool side lines. They even make hollow fake stone, if you want to go that way and then, again with some ingenuity, you could mount them on styrofoam, let them float on the water at the edge, making sure they're tied in some way to the bank. Would be easy re labor and not hard to glue resin fake rock to an insert of foam. Also, easy to disassemble should you want to change it up or get rid of it. You'd also incorp some driftwood logs/stumps along the sides to break up that man-made perimeter. Were it mine, I'd definitely figure how to build something that altered that straight line, even if you have a floating island with plants on it. Been done before (see 'floating garden' in the search; it should come up with the pertinent thread).

As FishGuy says; feral cats will be the least of your issues; herons come first in the hierarchy, then raccoons, followed by snapping turtles. This assumes you aren't plagued by bears, moose, cougars, minks, martens, or osprey, to name a few others! Be thinking now about a net system, the only sure way we've found to keep your fish IN your pond. Or, let nature take it's course but most here don't buy their fish to feed the wildlife!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'll be expectin' that lil 'sowwy' face early in the morning, and on my desk, Ms. Queenie.... :D :D :cool:
It did say indoor pool Mr Kingy! Someone changed it to in ground................... @addy1 ?
So no sowwy from me. Now pay attention from now on or fees will be charged to your account :p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The wired coconut baskets that they sell is what i would look at. you can easily add those baskets into the water along the edge lADD an extra wire to each end and then run that up over the coping and to the deck. use tap cons to drill into the concrete deck " assuming you have concrete " if you have wood even better a little easier to install. once the baskets are in the water it shouldn't require much to hold them in place unless you plant like a tarrow that gets crazy large and with a good wind might be challenging.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It definitely did say indoor pool at first so my bad there and thank you! The structure on the inside is definitely a main concern. I have seen serpadesign on youtube create a lot of effective pvc pipe designs that do not look pretty under the water but serve the purpose of cheaply creating structure and elevating areas for soil and plants to be added.

Does it matter if the structures underwater look "natural" if they still serve the main purposes (shade, spots, areas for soil,etc.)?

I do not have any of the above animals in my neighborhood outside of falcons, hawks, ospreys and raccoons. I am very curious as to what a raccoon does to upset things, are they effective at catching fish??

I would not be upset if a bird snagged the occasional fish but if that is something that truly can wipe out a population then that is concerning. I would rather have local fish in fairly large quantities than anything expensive or exotic that I would name and be utterly devastated if it got scooped out. When you say net, do you mean something that is up 24/7?

So if the bog filter acts as the cleaning agent and potential water aeration, what else is needed mechanically?

Also several people mentioned the floating island idea and I love that and absolutely will be looking into it.

Also also thanks again for all this info, my previous history of reptile care forums have not been this responsive!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also a couple more things that may help. This is a 15,000 gallon pool and I am a high school art teacher lol so the budget really only allows for one total draining and refilling, maybe two. It takes a LOT of water. So if I can do this without having to drain the water at all that is preferable, but I just don't know if it is possible. I need to get the majority of this completely planned and verified before I even really seriously consider it. This is more of a dream for me than a reality right now.

While I do have a 4 ft metal fence around the property, it does very little to stop anything from finding its way in. I have seen tons of groundhogs, cats, raccoons, skunks, and even a couple deer tracks when it snows.

It snows maybe once or twice a year where I live and the winter nights can get pretty chilly from Dec-Feb. The pool was frozen over for maybe 3-4 weeks this year. I feel like that won't be too big of an issue because of the depth of the pool and the fact I want local fish anyways but I also basically have no idea what I am talking about so please correct me if wrong!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It definitely did say indoor pool at first so my bad there and thank you! The structure on the inside is definitely a main concern. I have seen serpadesign on youtube create a lot of effective pvc pipe designs that do not look pretty under the water but serve the purpose of cheaply creating structure and elevating areas for soil and plants to be added.

Does it matter if the structures underwater look "natural" if they still serve the main purposes (shade, spots, areas for soil,etc.)?
There is no soil in the sytems we use here the idea is the plants grow in rock /gravel and get the nutrients they need from fish waste
I do not have any of the above animals in my neighborhood outside of falcons, hawks, ospreys and raccoons. I am very curious as to what a raccoon does to upset things, are they effective at catching fish??
Ospree can be a problem but if they do not have a long are to fly out they will not dive the pond.
I would not be upset if a bird snagged the occasional fish but if that is something that truly can wipe out a population then that is concerning. I would rather have local fish in fairly large quantities than anything expensive or exotic that I would name and be utterly devastated if it got scooped out. When you say net, do you mean something that is up 24/7?
yes many have a net sitting ontop of their ponds i went for a net wall taking away the flight path for any bird
So if the bog filter acts as the cleaning agent and potential water aeration, what else is needed mechanically?
keep your fish load low to moderate and feeding and nothing else is required but minimal maintenance though a couple jets to circulate the water helps
Also several people mentioned the floating island idea and I love that and absolutely will be looking into it.
anything that floats works i am currently using a log
Also also thanks again for all this info, my previous history of reptile care forums have not been this responsive!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Also a couple more things that may help. This is a 15,000 gallon pool and I am a high school art teacher lol so the budget really only allows for one total draining and refilling, maybe two. It takes a LOT of water. So if I can do this without having to drain the water at all that is preferable, but I just don't know if it is possible. I need to get the majority of this completely planned and verified before I even really seriously consider it. This is more of a dream for me than a reality right now.
In my area 6000 gallons is 300 bucks delivered
if your worried about chlorine if you did a 50% water change and then let the pond sit in the sun for a month or two try growing some plants in the water if they live your good to go . how long has the pool been sitting
While I do have a 4 ft metal fence around the property, it does very little to stop anything from finding its way in. I have seen tons of groundhogs, cats, raccoons, skunks, and even a couple deer tracks when it snows.

It snows maybe once or twice a year where I live and the winter nights can get pretty chilly from Dec-Feb. The pool was frozen over for maybe 3-4 weeks this year. I feel like that won't be too big of an issue because of the depth of the pool and the fact I want local fish anyways but I also basically have no idea what I am talking about so please correct me if wrong!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
GB answered your questions pretty well!

Personally I would use some dechlornator to make sure any chlormaines ( they don’t dissipate with time ) are netraulized, and if you do that I see no reason for replacing any water.

I could be completely overlooking something though.

I also don’t know how expensive it would be to treat a pond that large with dechlor.

Edit: just did some calculations and it looks like you may be looking at around $50 to treat your whole system.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

Hi and welcome!!! I have seen a number of ”in” ground pools converted to fish ponds. Basically you need the same things as part of it as any other similar sized pond such as mechanical and biological filters, pumps, aerators, etc. If you think you want to build a bog there are a few choices. You can either build a stream with a small pool that you could place floating water plants that would do a good job of filtering your water, or you could drain the pond and build a retaining wall so that your pool/pond would be a little smaller but the bog would be in a section of where the pool was. I did that with my own pond.. ie making it smaller and putting a bog inside it. Another idea is you could make your bog as an island in the middle of the pond, but it would take more work to plant it and maintain it. Also just wondering what type of fish you were planning? Don’t anyone yell at me if I missed that part. There are a few choices such as a water garden with plants and goldfish and other fun creatures or one of those boring Koi ponds with nothing in it except big fish swimming around. I prefer to be somewhere in the middle!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

to add to the conversation; I'd take some readings to make sure what's in your water and if there's anything to worry about. As FishGuy said, chloramines don't dissipate very fast at all. And you'll want to know basics like pH, KH (which is pretty important). If rain has been filling mainly, it will be acidic and low KH, hence check first before adding anything, including plants.

Raccoons tend to upturn pots looking for meals and they WILL grab a fish if it's near the surface and/or if you have shallow shelves for them to wade out.

Anything you put underwater will eventually turn green and be almost indistinguishable, esp if you have floating plants and anything else to look at. I'd not put 'white' anything underwater if you can't wait for it to green up, though.

Most have their nets up 24/7. There ARE ways to do this though that are less obtrusive. For instance, you could run a cable high enough you don't really notice and have a 'draw net' that you move to one side every time you want to sit and enjoy, then you draw it back to protect when you're gone. Not hard and is useful.

Yes, with a bog filter that pours back into the pond adding aeration, that's all you'll need. The only maintenance is thinning out plants periodically. If you keep your pump UP OFF the pond bottom, you don't need to worry re mechanical filtration. A bog, though, is chiefly a biofilter--that's where the magic happens!

addy will tell you a floating island, if you're not going to net the pond, is an attractive landing spot for herons...jus' sayin'!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

It is my only filter, cleaning agent, mechanical, water stays in great shape.

I had a floating island, it was removed after the heron decided it was a perfect place to fish from. Gone!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, with a bog filter that pours back into the pond adding aeration, that's all you'll need. The only maintenance is thinning out plants periodically. If you keep your pump UP OFF the pond bottom, you don't need to worry re mechanical filtration. A bog, though, is chiefly a biofilter--that's where the magic happens!
Where is the optimal placement for the pump? It is around 7 ft at its deepest point and I would like to have a little bit of circulation down there I would assume right?

Ask a Question