Costia. Help needed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I bet you do feel like a scientist...you have a great attitude and I'm learning from your experience:)
Tula have you taken the step of buying a microscope we can teach you how to take slides etc and pretty soon you'll get to know various parasites and after that how to go about treating against them etc .
Its a whole new and interesting part of fish keeping if you do take that step that we can promise you :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Carrie where do you think the costia came from , most probably your new koi being the vector so lessons learned A;lways QT our koi prior to them going into your pond .
It wasnt worth the risk it never is because nines out of ten your going to get problems

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Dave 54 , I do not have a microscope yet. I've just ordered a new shower filter, so pacing the budget! I think the hard part would be catching my koi to scope them, that would take some practice :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
@Dave 54 , yes I agree 100%. I can only attribute one or two things. Either my low KH allowed the stress in the fish/lowered immunity enough for Costia in my pond to attack, or it came with the new fish. I indeed take full responsibility for that mistake. I had set up a QT in a galvanized 100 gallon stock tank, but the water looked horrid (milky) after a few days, and tested badly, so we had to opt against it. I will certainly have a plastic stock tank in place for future QT. I never want to put my fish at risk. But at the very least, I already and willing to take all necessary action to correct what is wrong. Lessons are learned. My stress level and sleepless nights have proven how very much these fish mean to me.

@Tula , my husband found an amazing old (but very hig quality) microscope on Craigslist for a superb price. When you are ready, consider checking there! I still know that I'm no expert in recognition of things I'm looking at or looking for, but I have good books I use as identification and information bibles. Also of course the forums! All a gigantic learning process that I know I'll never regret. I hope someday I can help you half as much as you've helped me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Did a nearly 30% water change this afternoon and added second dose of the MG & F tonight. I'm so happy to report that the fish show no notice of the treatment and are all eating and acting normal. I'm watching over them like a mother hen. Hoping the one loss is the most I have to endure!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Valuable lessons learned their Carrie however when we use MG&F its a one off treatment with no waterchanges until the chemicals have done their work.
Then do the waterchanges not before , as its like your watering down the effects of the MG&F otherwise yes ?
I go into mother hen mode from tme to time so I know all about that feeling .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Carrie, I'm so glad things are going smoothly and your fish are tolerating the treatment well and eating. Give big Frank my best :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
@Dave 54 , with this product, the packaging specifically says to repeat daily, only following a 25% or more water change. I've read the same in various articles regarding MG & F treatments. I believe this is because the treatment can deplete oxygen, so a water change ahead of each dose makes sense. I'll attach an image of the label here for clarification.

@Tula , thank you! After the second dose, we are still looking good! One more night to get through, and (fingers crossed) we should be in the clear!!

image1.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We dont use it our way Carrie we use it on straight throught treatments one application turn up the oxygen in the pond and wait till its worked its majic or not .

Dave

Ask a Question