Crack In Pond

Reaction score
Hi folks, hope your all well.

I thought I would sign up on here and ask you guys if you know how to resolve this little issue were having with cracks in our pond...

We have just moved into this new house and the pond has been left to ruin for a while and we are in the process of renovating it.

We are based in the UK.

The pond is made from a plastic liner, im not sure what type, but it is strong, possibly PVC?

Anyway the problem is that we do not know what to use to fill the cracks, I understand we cant just use any kind of filler as it might be poison to the fish, is there any suggestions on what type of filler I should use?

Here are the pics...

CIMG0387.jpg

CIMG0388.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It has probably cracked from exposure. There is double sided tape you could use and place a new piece of liner over it. You would have to make sure you seal it really well.

Assuming the water is as high as the cracks when the pond is full, there is a pl roof flashing sealant that is sold in our home depot type stores that would work. Urethane type sealants work. Silicone works.

Looks like you have a lot of cracks to fill.

Would you want to replace the liner?

Reaction score
Hi many thanks for the reply, I done as you said and used the double sided black mouldable putty, it seems to have created a good water tight seal and im not even sure the water level will get high enough to penetrate it.

We have a filter system which has four tanks, it's pretty complex and looks like an expensive system, but the mains cable trips out the electrics in the house, so that's on the priority list now!

Thanks for your help on this!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
kevinsmbuk said:
Hi many thanks for the reply, I done as you said and used the double sided black mouldable putty, it seems to have created a good water tight seal and im not even sure the water level will get high enough to penetrate it.

We have a filter system which has four tanks, it's pretty complex and looks like an expensive system, but the mains cable trips out the electrics in the house, so that's on the priority list now!

Thanks for your help on this!

Make sure you don't have a short some where. The other option is too many things on that one electric feed. We had to rewire our microwave, it tripped the kitchen if you ran it and turned on something else.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
Make sure you don't have a short some where. The other option is too many things on that one electric feed. We had to rewire our microwave, it tripped the kitchen if you ran it and turned on something else.

Thanks for the advice, we have now pumped most of the water out the pond, bar two inches, but to be honest it's now pretty much 2" of pure sludge and crap, its disgusting.

We are thinking of getting some chicken wire, folding it over about 6 times the use it to siv out the crap in the pond, we all got in there in our wellies today and it really really stunk!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
stroppy said:
i think you need to get all the water out ..if its stinking that wont be good to put fish in ...maybe buckets for the last 2ins

I agree with stroppy, the muck is yucky stuff, it is like cleaning out a fish tank, poop, left over food, plant matter all cooking a bad brew for your fish.

Get it all out since you are doing so much for your pond already, use the pump or something to scope it out.

Let us know how it goes!

Ask a Question