Creeping Jenny as marginal?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks @cas and @bettasngoldfish !

Impatiens are so easy to grow in water - I gave up on them in my gardens because they literally need to be watered twice - or more! - a day. No time for that! But for constant color all summer long, you just can't beat them. The first time I saw them growing in someone's waterfall, my mind was blown. If you had asked me, I would have guessed that they would have rotted right were they were planted. I've planted them in my floating island, too - so pretty!

Everything you think you know about gardening can be turned on it's head with a pond!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I found mine liked shade, shook the dirt off stuck the roots in water, grow and grow.

Jenny grows : in the bog, in the pond, in the dirt, in the stream. floating , anchored take your pick.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Patience is a nickname in the US for Impatiens

photo, Creeping Jenny wandering merrily into water

creeping_jenny_gpf.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Impatiens is one I'm going to try this spring. In the UK the common name is Busy Lizzie - is that the same Stateside?
I have heard Busy Lizzie! But mine have never been "busy." Just tired. I'm hoping that being near the pond will do good things!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
no issues with Impatiens Downey Mildew (IDM)?

We had a problem for one season and couldn't buy impatiens anywhere. That year we planted New Guinea impatiens which are equally pretty and worked just as well. By the following season, impatiens were back, so I'm guessing the problem was either over reported or quickly resolved.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We had a problem for one season and couldn't buy impatiens anywhere. That year we planted New Guinea impatiens which are equally pretty and worked just as well. By the following season, impatiens were back, so I'm guessing the problem was either over reported or quickly resolved.
Are the New Guinea ones the kind that can take sun? I wonder if here in the sweltering south - and in the sun - they would do better than the regular shade-loving variety. I guess I could try both and see what happens!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Ok, you guys are making me wish I lived further south right now.
I went around to some garden centers yesterday asking when they'll be getting in plants like creeping jenny and was told the end of April/beginning of May.
:p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Ok, you guys are making me wish I lived further south right now.
I went around to some garden centers yesterday asking when they'll be getting in plants like creeping jenny and was told the end of April/beginning of May.
:p
Don't worry! Even our garden centers down here are slow to get a lot of stuff. Right now it's mostly trees and shrubs and hardy perennials available. Planting tender annuals is risky, still -- most stuff (including aquatic plants) won't come in till mid-April, due to chance of frost.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Are the New Guinea ones the kind that can take sun? I wonder if here in the sweltering south - and in the sun - they would do better than the regular shade-loving variety. I guess I could try both and see what happens!
Bagsmom, I have the regular ones they sell at lowes and they seem to do fine in our lovely summer weather. Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Man. I can't get away with anything. I dropped my son's luggage off for a school trip. Then went to Home Depot. My husband was looking to see if my son left yet -- the find-my-friends app showed me at Home Depot.

I get a text that says "What are you doing at Home Depot?"
I answer "Having a rendezvous with my boyfriend."
He responds "No you aren't! I know you are buying plants!"
(Like that was worse.)
I said I was just looking to see what they had.
His pointed response was "Luckily it doesn't cost anything to look."
Oddly enough, it ended up costing about 50 bucks.
Weird, huh?
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ask a Question