creeping jenny

SE18

David V
Reaction score
they don't call it creepin for nothin; it took off out of my bog to lap up river water and cross the railway right of way

SE18

David V
Reaction score
had problem uploading photo

Attachments

• DSC03219.jpg
    DSC03219.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 702
  • DSC03221.jpg
    DSC03221.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,150
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Wish mine would start creepin' instead its just looking a little brownish since planting 2 weeks ago :(

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine did the same thing creeped and creeped all over .I got a small piece from a neighbor last year .

SE18

David V
Reaction score
photos uploading fine now. Here's another creeping critter; she loves to walk on the sides of the aqueduct, chasing birds who are drinking and lollygagging about the place

Attachments

• DSC03209.jpg
    DSC03209.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 378

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That creeping jenny can really spread and I have to watch mine or it will wander off. I just have it in the cracks between my pond rocks now. Had it in one garden spot and it grew right out into the grass. Came up in the grass for several yrs even after ripping it out of that garden area.

Your pup is a cute keeper creeper!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some call it a weed, invasive. But I like how it wanders, have it going down some slopes into the stream, over rocks. I have the yellow and the green, it looks nice.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like it also just keeping an eye on it...........don't want it climbing shrubs or trees or smothering other plants. It can go over and into the pond and that's it!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have some plants, weeds, viney things that grow over everything. No clue if they were planted and just went crazy or normal weeds. Pretty little blue flowers but oh my they take over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
addy - blue flowers? That's a different plant. Erg I just saw it today at the store, and I can't remember what it was called. I used to have some, but the jenny overran it and I lost what little I had after rebuilding the new pond. All the types of jenny I've seen have yellow flowers (really hard to see when you have the yellow variety of plant).

I just finished up some work with red slate today, backed it up with some dirt, and took a bunch of creeping jenny clippings to fill in that area. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some pics, although the clippings weren't looking very happy by this afternoon. Ah well, just keep them watered, and they'll be going crazy in no time...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
addy - blue flowers? That's a different plant. Erg I just saw it today at the store, and I can't remember what it was called. I used to have some, but the jenny overran it and I lost what little I had after rebuilding the new pond. All the types of jenny I've seen have yellow flowers (really hard to see when you have the yellow variety of plant).

I just finished up some work with red slate today, backed it up with some dirt, and took a bunch of creeping jenny clippings to fill in that area. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some pics, although the clippings weren't looking very happy by this afternoon. Ah well, just keep them watered, and they'll be going crazy in no time...

yep it is not creeping jenny, has circular lobular leaves, about the size of a quarter, once it starts to grow it does not stop. Grows like a vine. We have tons of it in the grass. I spent two days yanking it out of gardens, I know I did not get the roots, no way you can without killing off the garden and starting over, but at least got rid of some of the plant. Two wheelbarrels full

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So this is going to be an ongoing thing w/ this blue flowered plants every year eh? Two wheelbarrows full, yikes! I have heard of people taking a cottage cheese cup and cutting a hole in the lid and pouring some roundup in it and then cutting the vine down about a foot from the ground and sticking the cut end into the cup so the poison goes only down to that plants roots. That way you don't hurt any others of your plants. You have so many tho but maybe lots are tied into one root system.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
addy - does this one look like what you have? This is the plant I had previously, but it wasn't as hardy to foot traffic as the jenny is, and my jenny actually overgrew this plant (Speedwell)...

speedwell_foliage.jpg

SE18

David V
Reaction score
it's called speedy for a reason; it spreads quickly

JW, some folks squirt roundup in their workglove and rub the plant; a quicker way IMO of isolating a plant for destruction; you still might want to cut the plant down if the plant could possibly lean and touch other plants, especially in wind

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
addy - does this one look like what you have? This is the plant I had previously, but it wasn't as hardy to foot traffic as the jenny is, and my jenny actually overgrew this plant (Speedwell)...

speedwell_foliage.jpg

This is the take over in the grass in the garden "weed"

DSC03212.jpg

In my tulip/front yard garden I have not cleaned out yet

DSC03213.jpg

This one is even worse, large vine stems hard to yank

DSC03214.jpg

This is the waterperry speedwell

DSC03216.jpg

This one is another ground cover can't recall the name of it.

DSC03217.jpg

Ask a Question