addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So this is going to be an ongoing thing w/ this blue flowered plants every year eh? Two wheelbarrows full, yikes! I have heard of people taking a cottage cheese cup and cutting a hole in the lid and pouring some roundup in it and then cutting the vine down about a foot from the ground and sticking the cut end into the cup so the poison goes only down to that plants roots. That way you don't hurt any others of your plants. You have so many tho but maybe lots are tied into one root system.

more purple than blue now that I look at it again. It is a ground level vine, each touching piece of vine creates roots. It will grow up and over everything if left alone.

The other nasty vine like plant does the same up and over everything it gets near, and it has grabbers it grabs all.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada

Your rampant weed is Gill-over-the-ground, Creeping Charlie, or Ground ivy (Glechoma hederacea). It's rich in vitamin C, and English painters used to drink a tea made from the leaves to help counteract the effects of the lead in their paint. The French used it to brew beer, hence the name 'Gill', from the French 'guiller', to ferment beer.
John

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Your rampant weed is Gill-over-the-ground, Creeping Charlie, or Ground ivy (Glechoma hederacea). It's rich in vitamin C, and English painters used to drink a tea made from the leaves to help counteract the effects of the lead in their paint. The French used it to brew beer, hence the name 'Gill', from the French 'guiller', to ferment beer.
John

Aww so I need to start drinking it! or making beer. rather than yank and dump

Thanks so much for the name of the villain.

ok I read about it, going to be one with creeping charlie unless it grows up and over the plants I want to at least see. It is now a very nice ground cover.............

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
SE, I hope they don't touch another plant tho w/ those work gloves or uh oh!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Very cool! If they're showing any green at all, they will most likely come back. It doesn't take much with those plants - water and sun, and they'll be back in no time.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ok creepy jenny and creeping charlie and what are the names of there babies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Went back to Lowes this morning to get some mulch, the creeping jenny rang up at .50. I got 6 more and am going to rinse the roots off and put them in the pond and see how they do. Has anyone ever tried this? Is there a difference between creeping jenny and aquatic creeping jenny.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Yes, there's a huge difference between the land and aquatic versions of creeping jenny! The aquatic version comes in a special pot with drainage holes. That pot is very expensive to produce, so you will pay $10 and up for the aquatic version of the plant...

Too much sarcasm? OK fine...

Nope, there is no difference at all, except for the outrageous price being charged for the aquatic plant. I buy mine from Lowes and Home Depot as well, and it grows over the edges of the pond and right down into the water. It puts down roots in the water, and seems to do just fine if it is kept fairly shallow. Based on how mine grows, I would suggest not planting the crown of the plant any deeper than about 3" in the water, but it seems to do best when it is floating along the edge of the pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My "land" creeping jenny is living in my wet bog, wet feet, has now grown into the pond, sending out lots of roots into the water. Bet yours will do just fine. lol shdwdrgn, we posted at the same time, totally agree, they charge a lot for plants called pond plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
It really pays to research your plants before diving in. Between the price difference in so-called "aquatic" plants, and plants that are just blatantly sold with the wrong information, you can needlessly spend a lot of money. We frequently see plants sold in aquarium stores as so-called "fully-submersible" plants which are in fact marginals that must have their leaves above water, and of course people buy them up every day and wonder why their aquarium plants die all the time. When I had my first aquarium, everyone told me that live plants were too hard to keep in small tanks, so I avoided them. However my wife has shown that when you buy the right kind of plants, they are in fact extremely easy to keep, and actually help make the tank more healthy for your fish.

I have some corkscrew grass in my pond that I just moved further upstream yesterday. It is simply dying off with the crown down 8" in the water, despite having a massive root-ball grown out into the gravel, so I'm moving it back up to about 5" deep. I may invest in more zebra grass next year, as that plant seems to be doing well in the deeper water. Sometimes you just have to move them around until they're happy.

Ask a Question