Current pond / Planned expansion

Reaction score
Well, the pond expansion is currently on hold due to unforseen circumstances. :(

The only thing I can do is remove the old pond, reform the hole (remove the shelves) and place the old liner back in. Then, if I need shelves, I can use bricks and flat pieces of rock as needed.

Is there any concern about using brick in a pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use 20 mil in my water fall and first liner I had in my NJ home was a 20 mil and it is still there and still leak free and it is now 19 years old .I could only find 20 mil back then .And pond at the NJ home went unattended for 3 years after the new owner got foreclosed on .New people still have it going my neighbor told me and want to expand it .It was out near my veggie garden and I only really used it to water my garden because I had city water .It was more for pond plants and 2 goldfish .I guess they were both males because there were no babies .But for a waterfall liner 20 mill is fine around a tank like i am doing .But I already had bought the 45 mil last year so used it .It said 10x10 but turned out to be 11 1/2 by 12 , not sure why .I posted that here because any one near ollies could find all this stuff alot of fountain heads and extenders and fittings were all 99 cents .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53499]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use bricks in mine and no problems .I have seen people who use pool liners used and also those billboard liners for there ponds .Gosh seems like things last longer than you expect and besides that we are always changing some thing or going bigger or deeper .So I say get what you can afford .I bargain hunt like crazy .I gave 2 almost brand new liners away .I didn't need it .Took ponds out and still had a good liner cleaned and scrubbed and coated with baby powder so it would not stick together.

Reaction score
sissy said:
Liners right now are really cheap .I just saw them at ollies here.They also had bigger ones if you have an ollies near you
I just checked at a local Ollie's.

They only have the 20 mil flexi-liners. I currently have a 45 mil flexi-liner. As cheap as they are in price, I am not sure how durable they are, being 1/2 the thickness of the liner I have now.

On the package it states that one side is smooth, the other is textured for bacteria to grow.

And I never heard of SunTerra.

Anyone have experience with them?

Even at 20 mil, maybe a small one might be good for an elevated bog that falls into the main pond. Although I am not sure as to the building aspect of that. Don't you need to add some kind of sealant for that?

Reaction score
addy1 said:
My bog is behind a wall, about 1-2 foot above the pond, depending on water level, it water falls back into the pond via a flat rock.

DSC03385.jpg
That is the part I am not grasping!

How do you channel the water from one area to another (using two separate liners) over a spill stone without the water leaking?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Minnow. Certain bricks are fine depending how they are made. Don't use brick pavers though. They will decompose. Anything made from portland cement is good also. Her water flows out of the bog in the area that is lower than the surrounding walls. So that is why it goes over the flat stone because that area of the wall is cut out for the water to flow out. The walls next to it are so well hidden you don't realize they are there. I have bought sunterra products from Menards and have had good success with them. You definitely don't want thinner than 45 mil for the liner.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Minnow said:
That is the part I am not grasping!

How do you channel the water from one area to another (using two separate liners) over a spill stone without the water leaking?
My pond and bog were built at the same time, it is one huge liner. Not two separate ones. The stream has many many pieces of liner to make all the twists and turns as it comes down the slope. The spill stone is about 36 inches wide.
The wall is 2.5 feet tall (about) landscape timbers, glued and screwed, with 2x4 posts anchored in the ground also. Around 27 foot long. Both ends are anchored in some concrete.

If it was two separate liners, I would have had the wall higher, the drop further for the spill stone, the pond liner come up and under the bog liner, high enough up to discourage water from flowing uphill and out of the pond, like my stream drops.

Reaction score
Ok, I actually expanded the pond today!

I drained the water out, did a nice cleanup and was able to deepen the front portion which was sloped. You will see the original design in the first post on this thread.

One concern I have is about the new "walls". The soil around the pond is pretty soft and I did my best in tamping it down and on to the sides before I put the liner back and filled it with water. I figure the soil will compact some more with rain and time. With the pressure of the water in the pond, should everything firm up as is, or will I be in for a surprise?

Once the murkiness is cleared up, I will post updated photos.

And as a bonus, I found several plastic flowerpots in the garage that aren't being used for anything. I think I will try a trickle filter out with these!

I do have a question regarding the trickle filters...

The lowest container, how many holes should that have in it and can that container be partly submerged?

Thanks!

Reaction score
So, the water is still a bit murky... :(

I will be attempting to build the trickle tower later today and with any luck, that will be done.

I have a question about placement of the tower and pump....

They should be at opposite ends of the pond, corect?

If my pump is flowing directly into the tower, will that be enough circulation power? The pump is 650 GPH.

Ask a Question