CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Funny that you want the fish to eat the frogs. I can't wait until I see frogs at my pond because they control my fish population!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Quick update:

1. Clarp has not been seen since the day after we released him to the pond.

2. Mr. and Mrs. Mallard continue to visit almost every day.

3. I’ve embarked on a mission of frog habitat reduction. It involves a lot of spray foam.

4. String algae continues to quickly clog any effort at a prefilter on the intake and very difficult to backwash for reuse. Next attempt will be some layers of 1/4” mesh just to catch algae and leaves. Shouldn’t clog too quickly and be easier to clean.

5. I bought a little Shelly Uni processor and a water pressure voltage sensor to try to create dynamic water level reporting for the reservoir.Shelly will read and report voltage from the sensor where I can convert to a percentage and use it to send myself alerts or run automations.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Clarp needs a few friends. It sounds like your wife and daughter have grown attached to Clarp. I believe they will also be attached to any fish they pick out, in spite of prior reluctance to allow fish to populate your amazing pond. Goldfish do eat algae. And rescuing from the "feeder" tanks at pet stores feels really good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In case anyone doubts how loud the frogs are. It's like having someone revving a motorcycle in the backyard all night long. I love the little buggers, but I had to get out of the hot tub early last night because they were giving me a headache. haha

IMG_6884.PNG

IMG_6879.PNG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My goldfish eat the frog eggs and the tiny tadpoles! Mating season frogs come from afar it seems to hook up, then most leave and I only have a couple that stick around long.
2frogs.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How long is the mating season in your pond? Ours is Early March to July! Practically half the year.
Oh my! I think just around this time and maybe thru May. Might just be cuz my pond is not huge like yours is? I only ever see tadpoles in my little frog pond I made. None ever in the fish pond. I used to have a floating plant ring where the frogs would lay eggs in the fish pond but I took that out. Bathtub pond too gets them. Never even hear frogs unless it is a warmer day. Cold days not a croak! My snake comes around each year and wow he/she has grown! This time it did not run from me. Raised his head like a rattlesnake like it was ready to strike!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
the toads and frogs are honestly my favorite part of my pond.

except for two nights ago when i woke up for some reason at 3:00 am and then couldn't fall back asleep because the toads would not shut up.
Wonder is the toads and frogs complain about humans when they hear them getting frisky? Did I just say that.................oh my :smuggrin:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey @combatwombat how are your milk crates holding up? Any settling or breakage over time?

I'm not able to inspect most of them, but I've not noticed any settling, no. There is one area of the reservoir where I can see one column of crates top to bottom, and they look the same as when I installed them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
the toads and frogs are honestly my favorite part of my pond.

except for two nights ago when i woke up for some reason at 3:00 am and then couldn't fall back asleep because the toads would not shut up.

They don't keep me from sleeping, and I actually like to hear them at night. I'd just like to find a way to have a conversation on my deck/patio without having to shout when we're 4' apart. haha

My latest idea is an RC boat with automated controls that just drives around and crashes into the shore line at random starting at dusk. Scary enough to a frog to shut it up and random/sentient-seeming enough to not be ignored by them after 5 min. like everything else I've tried. Have I mentioned the time I saw a frog sitting on top of one of my rubber snakes?

Ask a Question