Damn heron.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
We have survivors! They are,still spooked and mostly hiding but some came up to eat today. I can't get an idea of who is left but at least some are. The upper pond is now netted. Its more accessible than the lower one.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Keep in mind the birds are so very patient and they came back to my pond all the time before I finally netted it. They would wait right on the edge till the fish came near and try to grab them. Not sure if he ever got any but that net went up fast!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They might move to the lower pond now that the upper is netted. Keep a good watch. I battled the heron for 2 plus years , daily visits, multiple visits every day. The floating alligator heads, made them move slower, stalk slower, but they still fished. The fishing line, they learned how to dive over, through, etc. I had it strung tight 6 inches apart.
Chicken wire fence, jumped over and floated in the pond stabbing at the fish.

Had a floating island, they used it as a sushi bar, island gone.

Finally netted with the wide weave net, high over the pond, that stopped the suckers. They must be able to see it from the sky since they still fly over almost every day, pause in the air and keep going. We had one land this year, but our barking yorkie scared it off, it never came back.

I like the wide weave around 2-3 feet over the water, I can work on the pond, no little birds, dragon flies, frogs etc get stuck. The plants can grow without running in to a net. And it is not that eye obtrusive.
heron.JPG

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
He was back this morning . Bottom pond partially netted and rest will be covered with a tarp for the fish to hide under. 10 ponds within a stones throw why can't he go there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
He was back this morning . Bottom pond partially netted and rest will be covered with a tarp for the fish to hide under. 10 ponds within a stones throw why can't he go there.

Your fish..... :oldman: tastes like chicken.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It will come back until he/she figures out there is no way to get into the pond. Then it will give up and move elsewhere. But will come back if you relax your guard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We have less dogs then we used to, so I might need to net next summer. We do have shade sails and a fence around the pond, but still....everything I've read says, it takes multiple approaches to be successful in deterring them.

Reaction score
You can't beat a Crossman pump up 177 for Heron deterrent. It is a predator, just like any other vermin that would eat your cat, dog or other loved pet. Wearing feathers does not give it a pass in my book. I woud see it like a coyote trying to eat my small dog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Can't do that in the US @Bullfrog - migratory birds are protected by the federal government. Not to mention shooting ANYTHING in many areas is outlawed. Herons are very adapted to the suburban pond.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Yes herons are just had news.
Havint seen them around here in a couple of year butmi think that is because we have not had a lot of rain so they are not migrating threw.

Ruben

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a rookery west of us, as the bird flies, 10 miles maybe........they fly over all the time on their way to their feeding ponds/rivers.

Ask a Question