Dead Fish - Algae and Gills

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave,

Latest update.... i've been running the filter for 24 hours a day since we last spoke, and the flashing/jumping has stopped and he's gone back to eating normally. So hopefully that was the issue.

The bad news is that i've found another goldfish with the algae/fungus growing on him. I managed to catch him and give him a salt bath yesterday. Apart from the algae he looks and eats fine.

I was wondering if there's a multispectrum treatment that i can chuck in the pond to treat this that is safe for goldfish and koi?

cheers,

Andy.
Any off the shelf treatment that is an anti fungal should do the trick mate weve identified the switching off of the filters as your problem that allowed the fungus to take over like it did :(
Remove and treat each effected fish in your pond this is to reduce the spread of fungal spores we talked about a while ago , you can salt as you have been doing to remove the fungus then paint the area with malchite green (keeping it away from the gills) then spray the area with propolis :)
Then once the carriers have been treated we can look to treating your pond with the off the shelf fungal treatment which with your filters running 24/7 and maturing nicely should take care of things :cool: .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Hi Dave,

I took a trip out to the Koi guy and bought a broadband antibiotic from Oase.

The treatment seems to be working. All the fish are looking more active, and the fungus on the worst affected fish seems to get getting better. I've left the filter and the waterfall running to make sure everything gets flushed through.

I also asked him about test kits, instead of strips, and he's of the opinion that the strips are good enough. He had one test kit there for €300, which is too expensive, and he also said it's overkill.

Catching the fish to Salt them is easier said than done, but i still try.

cheers,

Andy.

Ask a Question