Dead Pump

Reaction score
Hi All,

My Little Giant pump died the other day which was too powerful for the the small kidney pond anyway. It was in a filter lined crate with pumice rock on the bottom. My question is, how long can three, 6" fish survive without circulation or do they need it at all? From what I've read, the muckier the water the better and there is plenty of algae.

These fish are my fifth batch, previous fish were eaten. They're safe from predators now and were about 2" when they went in and I'd really like to keep them alive.

Thank you!

Reaction score
well it does but the fish become less active so don't make as much waste. but you know the wacky weather we end up with so you may still need the filter going.

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
Is the filter what is providing the oxygen or do you have something else moving the water around? The fish can do just fine in murky water but the thing you have to find out is: Do they have oxygen and what are the levels of things like amonia and nitrite. They will do better in the cold weather due to the slow matabilisms and therefore less waste material. And the water absorbs more oxygen at a lower temp.

Ask a Question