Deep enough?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm all about putting the work in now so you don't regret it later! Even just one smaller section where the fish can retreat to will help. And it will keep the pond cooler in the summer too.

BTW my father was 42 when he dug what was going to be our 1st pond (about 1500g) in a single afternoon! Then he dug what actually become our 1st pond at 46, also by hand but at over 3k plus a 9x7x5 pit it took like 2 days. My dad is my hero! :D

Is he busy tomorrow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If you want extra protection, valve your system with a top skimmer and bottom drains so that you can turn off the bottom drains and only draw top water. An air stone will move water upward and mix for oxygenation but the lower water will stay warmer. When I build a pond I use bottom drains, skimmer and water falls that are all valved so that I can turn off the waterfall and bottom drains in winter. The densest water is at 4degrees C and drops while warmer and colder water rises.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Last February we had at least two solid weeks below 20 degrees. Got down to 11 in the morning. Pond water dropped to below 38 f.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Two weeks, huh? How about four months of this:

Ice on falls.JPG

The waterfall is still running by the way - water keeps flowing under the ice all winter long.

And I'm just having fun with you - we all like to think we have it worse than the next guy. If we're not careful, @MitchM will show up and tell us what winter REALLY looks like! The ice might all be just about off his pond by now!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Two weeks, huh? How about four months of this:

View attachment 113045

The waterfall is still running by the way - water keeps flowing under the ice all winter long.

And I'm just having fun with you - we all like to think we have it worse than the next guy. If we're not careful, @MitchM will show up and tell us what winter REALLY looks like! The ice might all be just about off his pond by now!

Please just let me enjoy my 2 weeks of "summer".
;)

Ask a Question