deep molded pond

Olcoach

olcoach
Reaction score
Hi, I want to put in a molded pond that is deep enough to keep out raccoons. The reason I need to put in a molded pond is due to my being in a wheelchair thus making it impossible for me to manipulate the lining forms. If anyone can direct me to a source of a deep molded pond I would be most grateful.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
All the pre-form ponds I've ever come across are 24" or less in depth. That's because many municipalities have laws restricting depth of garden ponds, usually to 18" to 24". If you want to go deeper, however, there IS an alternative! Check with swimming pool installers in your area, some will mold fiberglass pools/ponds to your specifications. Not cheap, but still a possibility.
John

Olcoach

olcoach
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. The one idea is probably more expensive than I want to go. The stock tank is a possibility. My reason is to have a pond the @%$&$#* raccoons can't get into. Thanks again.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
online they sell molded ponds to just about any size they even have a flexible molded liner that comes almost folded .I saw the 5 ft deep online .Stock tanks come in 300 gallons .At least here that was the biggest I could find .I got all mine through auction zip .com ,it was a farm sale and house auction

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to put in a molded pond that is deep enough to keep out raccoons. The reason I need to put in a molded pond is due to my being in a wheelchair thus making it impossible for me to manipulate the lining forms. If anyone can direct me to a source of a deep molded pond I would be most grateful.
olcoach
Like you my partner and I have disabilities I have to get around on sticks my partner Val who has Muscular dystrophy is inbetween a walked and a chair so we plumbed for an above ground circular moulded plastic pond of 1,000 gallons imperial with a 4" bottom drain and larger filters all have slide valves for ease draining and cleaning its a simple matter of pushing and pulling various levers in order .
This blocks of water draining from the pond when in the down position which allows us to drain our vortex style filters then close that off and open the drain to the vortex tppng it up th washing it through twice.
We then add a garden hose via a dechlorination unit to top up the pond with water the pond is 4ft deep 7 ft in diameter and 21 ft in circumference .
In reality looking at where your coming from the easier it is for you to do maintenance the better .
take your time in building the pond get everything researched first then think about buying not before

Dave

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. The one idea is probably more expensive than I want to go. The stock tank is a possibility. My reason is to have a pond the @%$&$#* raccoons can't get into. Thanks again.

Olcoach,

I have a cabin on a river with lots of trees and it is rather secluded. There are hundreds of raccoons here and I guarantee you that they can and will get into just about any pond or tank except those with bars and heavy wire screens and locks on it. I have found that the depth of the water really does not deter them from fishing in the pond or tank. They will hang over the edges and snatch the unwary fish which come too close to the edge with uncanny skill and agility. We have observed them doing this and it is actually quite amazing.

We keep live fish for fishing bait and often place our caught fish in metal stock tanks 30 inches deep and the raccoons still get into them. We have had to weld metal frames covered with 1/8" expanded metal screening set on heavy metal hinges and locked down to keep them out of our tanks. I doubt that you want a pond or a tank fitted with such a lid. It looks quite obnoxious.

However, I have an idea that might work very well with any pond or tank and this will grant you more freedome to create whatever type of pond or tank you desire.

Encompass the perimeter of the pond or the rim of the tank with really sturdy, non-conductive stakes set like miniature fenceposts and fix two strands of non-insulated (bare) #14 to #10 gauge solid wire to these stakes. The lower wire being set about two to four inches above the ground or rim of the pond or tank and the upper wire being set four to five inches above the first wire. Then connect these wires to an electric cattle fencer.

You can turn the fencer off during the day when the raccoons aren't normally about, but at night, I guarantee they will get your definite message to stay the hell away!

If you use decorative stakes then that will improve the aesthetics and solid copper wire will develop a nice patina over time.

Gordy

Ask a Question