Desperate. Fish dying

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Ellis, I'm very sorry you're losing fish :( You have a lovely pond and garden, it's obvious you've put a lot of effort into it.

You're getting lots of good advice and questions, but I wanted to welcome you to our forum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Oh no, I hope you get the problem fixed soon. I am inclined to think that it is the chemicals leaching into the pond...that would also explain why the bigger koi is not ( yet) affected. Have you had a lot of rain since this happened? Unfortunately I don't know what you can do to remove the chemicals before you lose them all. I hope somebody has the solution...
PS your garden looks wonderful...and I am familiar with Port Perry...living in Ottawa Ontario.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Would like to thank everyone for your help and kind comments on the pond. It is a Savio filter. The filter size is 20x14. I can't move fish out if they are sick. There was that many fish over winter so if there's to many you would think that's when I would loose fish. We don't use any insecticide or anything like that around are property. We have lots of birds so don't want to harm them. After they sprayed the field the next day we got a good rain. Pond is about 175' away from the field. So far I've taken out 14 fish. Plants are water lilies and floating lettuce. The putting in the lettuce for the last 12 years.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
I don't think their lethargic. They act just like they can't get enough air (gasping). They stay in the stream or flow and aeration. The gold ones that have died do look like your photo Mr. Jordan. I did not cover all the pond area just the water when they sprayed the next day it rained. This has been the hottest summer for us ever high 30's plus humidity and for the longest stretch.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would think with the hard rain yu got if it as on the shrubs and other stuff there could have been some that did wash it ,but still sounds like lack of oxygen and over crowding and maybe hotter water .You may need an aerator

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is speculation, and only speculation, but based on the information that you have provided, this could be a viral issue. This would explain all of the symptoms and the fact that the Koi appears normal. It could have been triggered by stress caused by any number of things including the spraying. Sadly, there is no known treatment or antidote for viral infections in fish.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Can you catch one or two of the fish and look at there gills and see if they are real red.
Them being up at top gasping could be o2 problem but it could also be ammo , nitrites problem.

If it could be a fertlizer problem from the spray then I would get some carp and bag it and run thru the filter it should soak up the bad stuff.
Depending how much you are,bagging,would exchange it every 24 hours.

If it is a bio problem I would not remove plants as they eat ammo and nitrites and nitrates.

Ruben

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow, beautiful pond and garden. I'm sorry about your fish. We have another member here....Country Escape that lost a bunch of her fish when her neighbor sprayed a few years back. Maybe she can help. My guess is there is a chemical in the spray that has hurt their gills and their ability to breathe through them. Is there any way to find out what your neighbor sprayed?

Last edited:

Ask a Question