Devastated, lost most of my pond goldfish

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The timing does make the heavy rainfall suspicious. With it being extra heavy any chance you had run off get in the pond? Something that could have had chemicals or toxins in it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So clarity check, (and again I'm so sorry for your loss). The water test results that you posted, was that before the water change or recent? As in after the fish deaths?

First water change was done prior to any issues and it was done on July 25th, trouble started Monday Aug 3rd with fish dying, tested water Tuesday Aug 4th, water change Wednesday Aug 5th (most fish had already died prior to the Aug 5th water change)

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The thing about the rain that made me suspicious was the fact that this all started the next day following a heavy rain storm. Storm happened on Sunday late evening and into the night, found dead fish Monday night
That is why my first thought went to possible run-off.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is why my first thought went to possible run-off.

I am so careful not to use any chemicals in or around my yard as I have the fish and dogs. I also feed lot's of wild critters and I don't want to poison them by accident.

I am going to ask my husband to take a look around the pond and see if he can find any area where he thinks we may have gotten run-off. I don't think so though.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Darn sorry to hear, I would go with run off to. Something got into your pond.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
going to ask my husband to take a look around the pond and see if he can find any area where he thinks we may have gotten run-off
I had my pond about 8 years when I started noticing my water was getting a brown tint to it. I always kept the leaves out of the water and built my pond so the liner was positioned with rocks above the soil level. Finally the ninth year I went around all the edges of the pond adjust the rocks. What I found was after 8 years of walking on those rocks the liner had sunk in some places and my pond was getting run-off after all. Just a thought of something to look for.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had my pond about 8 years when I started noticing my water was getting a brown tint to it. I always kept the leaves out of the water and built my pond so the liner was positioned with rocks above the soil level. Finally the ninth year I went around all the edges of the pond adjust the rocks. What I found was after 8 years of walking on those rocks the liner had sunk in some places and my pond was getting run-off after all. Just a thought of something to look for.

thank you for that bit of info

I thought we had it covered but never thought about things shifting

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
thank you for that bit of info

I thought we had it covered but never thought about things shifting
After years of fixing the stream every spring from deer walking on my firmly planted rocks, yep they shift and when the shift leaks, runoff etc occur.

Reaction score
Country
United States
With all that rain, it could have come from a neighbor who recently treated their yard or sprayed for bugs or weeds. :(

You know I am really beginning to wonder as I know for a fact in the past she has been in her drive (which is a gravel drive and near my pond) and pouring bleach water over the gravel (to kill weeds I guess?)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh, I am so sorry to hear this :(

You mention storms...any chance the pond was struck by lightening? I realize that's a slim chance, but also check your equipment and make sure there isn't a slight electrical current in the pond?

In our original pond that was here when we bought the house, a filter had a slight electrical short....and the previous owners didn't have a GFC plug..... the goldfish were killed over the course of about a week's time.

Ask a Question