Devastated, lost most of my pond goldfish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm keeping a very close eye on this topic. Do not turn it into one of those times when you are each trying to prove the other person wrong. Be respectful of each other's opinions or the topic will be cut short.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So forget the science there has to be some tipping of the pond to kill that many fish in one go which points to oxygen depleted water which can only come from the bottom of a pond thus the pond has tipped causing Total Oxygen Depletetion of her pond thats not hard to take onboard is it ?.

Somewhat faulty deductive logic in play with that statement. The fact is what happened in Maria's case could easily have been precipitated by an abrupt and fairly large fluctuation in any of the pond's chemical parameters.....temperature, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate (reduction), pH, and yes, even Oxygen.....any of these could have been the source. But it has been determined to my satisfaction that if it was Oxygen depletion it was not initiated by natural means.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Maria I'm sorry that you lost most of your fish. Glad shamu and the other one are doing well. I also lost 7 of my fish this year. And it started right after the 4th of july. And at first I lost 1 and the rest were like 1every other day. I still don't really know what happened . I've had the fish for about 5 or six years and never lost 1 so up until now I guess i was fortunate. I did a complete water change and now everything seems ok. But I also worry when it rains because we had a lot of rain atthe time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes it was weird I also went to a local pet shop and they said alot of people in my area were losing their fish. And no one knew why. All my readings were fine I even thought maybe I wasn't testing the water and getting the correct readings and took a sample of the water to the pet shop just to double check. And they said every thing was fine. Well just thought I'd share.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did you lose all your fish cinder? Are things in the pond better now?

I'm sorry to report that I found both of my little orange and white "test" fish dead tonight as well as Shamu :( I couldn't find the blue shubunkin but I've a feeling he is dead as well.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Did you lose all your fish cinder? Are things in the pond better now?

I'm sorry to report that I found both of my little orange and white "test" fish dead tonight as well as Shamu :( I couldn't find the blue shubunkin but I've a feeling he is dead as well.
Oh no! There has got to be something really bad going on! So, so sorry!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh no :( i'm so sorry. I lost 7 of the 12 fish i had and i thought that maybe 1 of the ones that survived wasn't going to make it. It swam by it self and really slow like something wrong with it but i just left them and fed them very little and now they are fine. As in the post i made earlier they are hidding now seems like there shy now but I noticed that there are babies in the water. So to answer your question everything is better now. But i was afraid there was something wrong with the water so i did a complete water change, but my pond isn't very big about 500 or 600 gallons. I know several people said i didn't need to drain it completely but i felt i wanted to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry its taken so long but here are Syds difinative thoughs re Maria's die off

The KH and pH suggest that a PH crash wasn't the cause but a shallow pond in hot thundery weather suggests that low dissolved oxygen was the more likely cause especially if there wasn't any aeration. Do you know anything about stocking rate and aeration?

Best regards
Syd

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It looks as though niether of us is going to come to an agreement over an answer to this question so as I said previously lets agree to differ in our opinions over this :happy: (y)

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you everyone

Just wanted to let you know I have decided to drain the pond and start over.

Cinder my pond is the same size as yours. Since the most recent deaths I have decided to drain the water, let the pond dry, re-pot the plants and start over. At least I will feel better that way. And hopefully the fish going in will be fine

Ask a Question