Disapearing fish

springknee

1000 gal pond 2200gph pump
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
.Here's how the events have unfolded with my disappearing fish. FYI I have 5 orange/white fish and 7 orange fish they are all 8-10" long.

Day 1- I got home from work and discovered 1 of my red/white fish missing. We searched for anything that might give us clues as to what had happen. Didn't find anything.
Day 2 - No issues but still puzzled
Day 3 - Was gone all day didn't have a chance to count my fish.
Day 4 - Saturday noticed we lost another one. Now I'm getting upset oh and it was another orange and white one. I decide to set out my trail cam to try and get a photo. And take a goodnight count. just to make sure all is well before turning in.

Lets review what we know.
1- In 4 days I've lost 2 orange/white fish
2- The rest of my fish seem to act normal. Not spooky.
3 - I've pretty much ruled out coon/cat do to not seeing any scales or messes.
4- starting to think it's a crane or snake.

Day 5 - Wake up early and count fish. Another orange/white fish is gone. I'm thinking maybe I got a picture of the thief. Rush in and take a look nothing. My pond has a bridge across it and I can only get half of my pond in the picture.So being upset i go outside and start analyzing the crime scene. When I notice the Lillis have shred marks on them and look worse than usual. This is the end of the pond my fish really seem to like tearing up with spawning activities..

What we know now
5-This fish was taken during the night so no heron.
6- I'm now thinking snake. But that doesn't explain the shredded lillis

And then I spot unmistakeable evidence as to what the thief is.
But first let's see what a few of you think the thief is.

springknee

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
here's a older pic of my pond
GetAttachment.aspx1.jpg

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I lost a fish at night last December to a neighborhood raccoon - all the evidence you describe, including the shredded lilies were present but I also saw the furry thief when he triggered our motion detector lights by our pond. We have since installed two motion detecting sprinklers (Scarecrows) that are great at keeping the herons and coons away from our fish.

My guess would definitely lean towards a raccoon, based on the evidence you presented - or maybe an owl? I don't know what's creeping, flying or swimming around at night in Springfield MO, but I'm really curious to find out! :wideyed:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have only lost fish to the heron, that I know of, hard to count them in my pond.

Good investigation you are doing

Reaction score
Owl was my other choice.

We have a white owl that lives in a small wooded area next to us, I guess I should really net the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, just got here and now w/ an owl feather as evidence................of course I lean towards owl but why would the lilies be shredded? From his talons when doing a strike?
Net time!

springknee

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, just got here and now w/ an owl feather as evidence................of course I lean towards owl but why would the lilies be shredded? From his talons when doing a strike?
Net time!
Thats what I'm thinking

Ask a Question