Disguising waterfall on a raised pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
You folks have been really helpful with my ever-evolving pain-in-the-arse pond dream. First I moved the site, and now I've discovered that the sheer size of my tree roots make an in-ground pond impossible. I would whack a small root; these are thicker than my legs. And I really do value the trees, despite the phrase I uttered when I found the roots.

The raised pond seems the way to go. I'm considering brick, but if I wanted to stay true to the feel of the Victorian home I live in, I think a wood pond would look best. Regardless, I've already got this waterfall filter I bought on sale way back when I thought I was going to be digging. I'm not sure how to incorporate/disguise the waterfall. I've considered building a separate wooden box to house it, but my brain hurts after 3 months of planning and I need some ideas.

If you have pictures, or suggestions, they are welcome.

Thanks everybody.
Laura

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can you post a picture of the waterfall filter? That will help our brains think it out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There are several ponders on here with raised ponds out of wood .I know waterbug has one

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Yes ma'am. It's the Tetra waterfall filter. It's not small. Roughly 18 inches tall and a similar circumference.

Attachments

• tetrafilter.jpg
    tetrafilter.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 391
Reaction score
Lardeelion,

What about this notion?.....

Purchase an old whiskey barrel from Jack Daniel's or other distillery, something that looks really rustic, and adapt it to fit the waterfall filter inside. You could have some sort of "hatchway" cut into the lower section of the barrel to access any plumbing works if needed. But the main thing would be that the wooden barrel could blend in to the surroundings and be aesthetically neutral or even additively attractive for a Victorian era style. They are made from oak, so the wood should last a long time even with a little wet surroundings.

Gordy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Lardeelion,

What about this notion?.....

Purchase an old whiskey barrel from Jack Daniel's or other distillery, something that looks really rustic, and adapt it to fit the waterfall filter inside. You could have some sort of "hatchway" cut into the lower section of the barrel to access any plumbing works if needed. But the main thing would be that the wooden barrel could blend in to the surroundings and be aesthetically neutral or even additively attractive for a Victorian era style. They are made from oak, so the wood should last a long time even with a little wet surroundings.

Gordy

Now that is a fine idea, Gordy!

(I'll take "drunken shubunkin" for $200, Alex)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you could build up and do the basket ring and leave 1 side piece off .I had one done similar .trying to find a good pic of it

Attachments

• pee house pond 2012 038.JPG
    pee house pond 2012 038.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 476
  • waterfall 014.JPG
    waterfall 014.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 686
  • pond 2012 056.JPG
    pond 2012 056.JPG
    216.9 KB · Views: 452
  • house pond 2013 004.JPG
    house pond 2013 004.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 499
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
you could build up and do the basket ring and leave 1 side piece off .I had one done similar .trying to find a good pic of it

Yeah, this was my initial thought, but with a square shape, up against the pond. Seems like a simple way to do it, and it would be the same matching wood.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
rain barrel .They make some that look like whiskey barrels a little cutting the top or you could use a half barrel and build a platform for it .They sell those fiberglass half barrels .Take your tank with you to see if it will fit .Platform could be made so that it has a cute door on it and shelves inside to hold your ponding supplies .Like gnome house .Make it fit a them of some sorts for your pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sunshine,
I love the colors you chose for the pond and the house!!

I second the whiskey barrel idea. I actually wanted to have one but still cant find one with the spillway made in.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 raised ponds made from wood. I have a Savio waterfall filter and found plastic fencing to put around it. It is the stuff you can use to hide trash cans and heat pumps. Not real natural looking but it works for me.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like the way you built your bog sunshine and the color makes it look bright and happy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Yes, Sunshine. Your name fits your cheerful pond and porch setup! You guys are giving me good ideas. I could easily do half of a whiskey barrel and hang the lip of the waterfall over the edge of the barrel, and then backfill with dirt and put some happy green things in it. A whole barrel would be pretty neat though. You folks are getting my brain in gear again. Thank you!

Ask a Question