DIY filter waterfall outlets

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I am sure some of you have thought of this but those who hadnt and are trying to figure out a waterfall setup...i made this one for my basement pond, but you could easily make and use an end like this for your waterfall(s) outdoors by tucking one or more inbetween some flat stones and sealing with some waterfall foam. and would work well for multiple spill points in the falls. much better than water coming out like the end of your garden hose. you can see theres good aeration, and the water sheet is 8" wide where it hits the waters surface. this is a 2" pipe heated flattened out at one end and shaped so the slot is nice and even. i know i could get atleast 12" on a 3" pipe. i have a tetrapond 1000 gph pump running this system. a couple ball valves to control water flow out each spill point.

Attachments

• SANY0998.JPG
    SANY0998.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 5,017
  • SANY0999.JPG
    SANY0999.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 4,802
  • SANY0997.JPG
    SANY0997.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 8,515
  • SANY1002.JPG
    SANY1002.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 7,844
  • SANY1001.JPG
    SANY1001.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 5,772
Reaction score
Dang great idea koiguy. I am in the process of adding different level spillways to my waterfall and was wondering how to do this without just having a pipe gush out water like you said. What did you use to heat the 2" pipe enough to stretch it like that? Man you saved me alot of brain busting.....thanks!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i warmed it in front of my torpedo heater.. but a heat gun would do nicely... not neccessary but i cut an inside form from 1/2" polyethelene plastic to slide in the end to uniformly contour the spout, get it where you like and dip it in cold water.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Great idea!
PVC can be formed in boiling water. If you put the end in boiling water until you are ready to form it, then use a heat gun to localize the heat at the end while flattening it, that may make it easier to get uniform results.

Reaction score
Great, a heat gun or boiling water helps in forming the PVC pipe whatever shape I need it to be. I will try this since I am doing multiple spill points along my waterfall. Thnxs guys

PS3

Reaction score
so this is 2 inch pipe come out of the 2 inch drain??
i guess i have to use 2 inch i was going to reduce from 2 inch drian
to 1&1/2 inch water fall pipe think that would work also?

Reaction score
I Love this!!! I had an idea for a DIY weir, but this might be much better, and easier. It might be even easier using The poly styrene pipe or the thinner PVC used just for drains. They have fittings that convert Schedule 40. to it so you can connect it to your plumbing. Man never thought of, jut flatening it. I was going to use a TEE and split it, then heat it to get that weir lip look.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i put 2200 gals thru one for a couple minutes to test it ..but if you go any higher flow than that you may want to move up to a 3" pipe and adapter from your output to the falls.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
i put 2200 gals thru one for a couple minutes to test it ..but if you go any higher flow than that you may want to move up to a 3" pipe and adapter from your output to the falls.

I was actually thinking of using 6" and reducers down to my pipe feed size. I will mess with it a little when I get to that point. I had a few other ideas for DIY waterfalls and weirs.

Ask a Question