DIY filter waterfall outlets

Reaction score
Country
United States
Saw this tonight and thought it was pretty cool. I wonder if you could get the same effect or similar by just cutting a slit in the PVC lengthwise instead of drilling it and inserting the 1" diameter pipes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are so many ways to create an even flow at the top of a waterfall. easiest is to simply have the supply line pointing down into a dep area and as the water fills up it will over flow evenly across what ever area you have. the other thing this build could have done was to simply have the 4" pvc have a few cuts like we do with the peastone bogs but horizontally instead of across the pipe.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i shpould add though if your building a bog and waterfall comes from that the above video is pointless

Reaction score
Country
United States
While I've been looking at filtering waterfalls I've noticed they're all rated for a certain GPH. What makes the limitations on that? I can see where certain diameters of hose can only allow so much water through per minute but that seems like the limiting factor would then be the hose, not the waterfall filter. Is it the type and thickness of the plastic, meaning that the plastic would crack under the force a higher GPH? Or the height of the bucket between the hose and the weir can only hold so much? These are just my guesses. Does Anyone know for sure?

Reaction score
Country
United States
i shpould add though if your building a bog and waterfall comes from that the above video is pointless
Unless you want a second waterfall for beauty or to have a second stream of water from a different direction to push stuff toward your intake bay or skimmer. 🙂

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wait untill you see what energy is need in monthly costs before you go splitting streams. If i remember correctly you were thinking like 4000 gph. That is just enough for one waterfall or enough for two trickles

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
While I've been looking at filtering waterfalls I've noticed they're all rated for a certain GPH. What makes the limitations on that? I can see where certain diameters of hose can only allow so much water through per minute but that seems like the limiting factor would then be the hose, not the waterfall filter. Is it the type and thickness of the plastic, meaning that the plastic would crack under the force a higher GPH? Or the height of the bucket between the hose and the weir can only hold so much? These are just my guesses. Does Anyone know for sure?
SEVERAL FACTORS
1, If you push water through a filter too fast your not allowing enough time for the filter to do its job.
2. not so much the plastic failing as much as it is the hose is too small as you stated as well . if increased it can overwhelm the opening of the weir and overflow. there is no pressure to the biofalls only the soils backfilled around them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i should add what ever the manufacturer says there filter is good for i'd cut in by at least 1/3 if not 1/2 of what they say it can do

Ask a Question