DIY skimmers?

Reaction score
Well i am going to be taking this on but I will take this one step further, i will make this/ retor bottom drain with two valves so I can run either the skimmer or the bottom drain.

Reaction score
looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Please do take step by step photos and post as your building. We love that sorta stuff!

Reaction score
I've seen people use no niche skimmers with great success (IF they maintain ideal water levels), and others who don't recommend 'em. Honestly, those two designs shown in the beginning of this thread are the way to go, since they move up and down with water line. Somethings just aren't worth DIY'ing in my opinion, but I always root for someone who attempts it.

Reaction score
jason081180 said:
yea the real one only costs $80 or so. If i find i need it I'll just buy it.

That's how I feel about a product like this. Some items just aren't worth DIY'ing--especially those that have moving parts.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
I built my own skimmer.Pretty easy.I still have some rock work to do,but it works well.

Attachments

• 8 044.jpg
    8 044.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 330
  • 8 047.jpg
    8 047.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 378
Reaction score
diggin', these guys are talking about building a moveable skimmer. One that goes up and down with the water level--not a stationary box. You can see the samples they are gabbing about at the beginning of this thread.

Ask a Question