DIY skimmers?

Reaction score
Ok in order, 3in basket, going into a 3 in PVC, 1 inch screw cap connected to a 1 Inc PVC tube that goes through a 3 inch screw on reducer. That is the just of it the rest is tubing to get tithe filter... Make bettersense with what I'm saying and the picture???

Reaction score
here is what I'm thinking. you would just need to anchor it somehow and cap off the bottom of the tee

Attachments

• DIY skimmer.JPG
    DIY skimmer.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 350
Reaction score
I was just at lowes and if you do it with PVC you could do it for about 25 bucks

I think Jason is on the right track now some one needs to build it and see if it works like the oase one

Reaction score
To ancor it I would get a saucer like u use under a poted plant cut a 3 inch hole out if the middle and place it above the tee and use some rocks to hold it down

Reaction score
bsr8129 said:
To ancor it I would get a saucer like u use under a poted plant cut a 3 inch hole out if the middle and place it above the tee and use some rocks to hold it down

Or do u think PVC primer and glue would allow you to just glue the saucer on to the bottom of the tee and then that would act as the cap as well. cover it with rocks for weight.

Reaction score
we could basically get a closed 4 in threaded plug and drill a whole in the middle precisely the size of the tube, just enought space to slide up and down. to stabilize this sucker we could just connect it to a submerged pump like a mag drive

Reaction score
I'm confused on the 2 inch cap what is this purpose? The only issue I would see is if the 4 inch cap not fitting in the 4.5 inch pipe. Also is the down tube only 2 inch now?

Reaction score
I'm also confused as to what you mean, cauzeneffeckt. the reason for the bigger pipe is to match what the manufacture made. I'm sure there is a reason for it. and i think 4 in might be a little small anyway you can see from the video that the basket he pulls out is at least 6in if not 8in. the bigger pipe would also allow for more water inside the pipe and more suction power on the outside pipe pulling it down and allowing the water in. i think the bigger diameter pipe would also be more secure when mounting it to the base, whatever we decide that should be. i think we will have to have some sort of o-rings between the inside and outside pipes and make them as smooth as possible so the slide easier. i don't understand the reason for the 2in caps? to stop it from going to high or low? you stop filling the pond when it gets to the top of the limit the outside pipe will travel and make sure to always keep it full enough to be over the inside pipe. that's all it should take.

Reaction score
jason081180 said:
I'm also confused as to what you mean, cauzeneffeckt. the reason for the bigger pipe is to match what the manufacture made. I'm sure there is a reason for it. and i think 4 in might be a little small anyway you can see from the video that the basket he pulls out is at least 6in if not 8in. the bigger pipe would also allow for more water inside the pipe and more suction power on the outside pipe pulling it down and allowing the water in. i think the bigger diameter pipe would also be more secure when mounting it to the base, whatever we decide that should be. i think we will have to have some sort of o-rings between the inside and outside pipes and make them as smooth as possible so the slide easier. i don't understand the reason for the 2in caps? to stop it from going to high or low? you stop filling the pond when it gets to the top of the limit the outside pipe will travel and make sure to always keep it full enough to be over the inside pipe. that's all it should take.

Disregard 4inches I meant 4.5. I willdraw somehing up later so you can see the use of the 2 in cap. Basically iyou want the skimmer to adjust to water level and not have to constantly adjust water levels yourself

Ask a Question