DIY Stock Tank Filter

Reaction score
I don't personally like to pump through a UV, and I tend to put it later in the line. I also like my UV to be working on cleaned water after it has been in the filter. But, of course, anyone can put a UV wherever they like at the end of the day.

Reaction score
Koikeepr
Can you tell me the best place to buy a really fine filter material like foam to help clean up muddy water as i kios have torn up my plant boxes & not too happy right now LOL just cleaned the 4500 gallon pond & all my filers uvs & etc & put tabs in planters just for them to shown me whos boss Lol TKS Coolwind

Reaction score
Well, that's basically why I have no plants--koi just make a mess of 'em. Other than floaters, it's just not worth having potted plants in a koi pond.

If you've vacuumed up, give it a few days and let things settle. If you want to place a fines filter under your waterfall for a few days, you simply go to wal-mart or a craft store and buy some inexpensive light colored fabric (like gauze), some quilting batting and rig it up in a perforated basket. Just drape your gauze over the container and then place the quilting batting on top of that.

You can use a large colander or one of those bathroom/home office trash baskets that is made outta the metal mesh. They sell 'em at Lowe's or the big box office stores. It won't look pretty for a few days, but after you're water has cleared you'll be fine.

Live and learn, friend. Them koi are a pesky bunch on some days. LOL!

Reaction score
Thanks my freind will try that 1 Hope all had a Happy Holiday
I had to work 12.5 hrs LOL working @ a Hospital their r no Holidays :rolleyes:
But I guess I have a lot to be Thankful for as I had caradic atery sugery on 4/27 this year & my Old Ticker stopped 3 times on them But Still kicking Thanks to My Super Surgern
& working their you know all them & it helps to know the best GOD Bless U All here & TKS for having me on the fourn :confused:

Reaction score
We're happy to have you coolwind. Glad the ticker is still pumping away for you. And, yes, at a hospital there are no days off--people need help 24/7/365. We need folks like you around who are willing to care for 'em no matter what day it is.

Reaction score
Finally starting my stocktank filter 100 gallons. Off to Lowes I go. Plus, Koi store to get Matala mats. Whoohoo!

Reaction score
Please do photograph your build and give us a thread on it. Folks love to see these in step by steps! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Finally got started plumbing my 150gal. stocktank filter. 2 3" shower drains in the bottom, grid cut & done. My question is this- I have a Laguna 4600 pump that I am planning on using for this new 10x10x4 pond with this filter. Do I need to divert some water or can I run full flow thru the filter?
Also- Koikeeper- the swirler you showed on your build- wouldn't that stir up the muck in the bottom of the filter? I've got cut to fit furnace filters on the grid, 3900' 1/2" strapping and 300+ 4x5 green kitchen scrubbies for media.
I think I'm headed in the right direction but just want to check on fine tuning my plans.

Reaction score
What the swirler does it cause muck to settle downward by creating a vortex effect. So it separates the poo water from the clear water. Clear water rises, and poo water sinks. Then, every week, you get rid of the poo by opening your waste pipe and letting it all out.

I have a 7200g pump pushing water through my 150g stock tank, so you will likely not have to divert any water, no. But that's all dependent on what you're doing. Are you planning on one line just going out over a waterfall? Will you have a UV? what is your big plan?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Koikeeper- currently building 10x10x4 pond. was just planning on using the one pump but might add a smaller one for some type of water feature. Will be buying a UV this fall as the one we have is no longer working. The stocktank will flow directly into the pond.

Reaction score
You could just get one pump, split the line and then put the UV on the line that goes to your water feature. Voila! You solve the flow problem to the UV and you only need one pump to worry about.

Reaction score
Yes, that is exactly what I am doing. Splitting the outlet line 1 for uv line and 1 to go straight back to waterfall. Thanks to kiokeeprs recommandation.

Reaction score
Just a quick update on an idea to hide and cover your stock tank. I wanted a cover on my stock tank so that I wouldn't get rain water and leaves into the tank since I've got trees close by.

Just got a bunch of 2x4's that I had laying around and build a simple frame around the tank. Then built a 2x4 frame top that and I used three hinges to create a lid. At the home improvement store, I bought that fiberglass corrugated sheeting that you use for patio or shed roofs and screwed it to the top of my lid. I then used lattice to surround it.

I use a 2x4 stick to just prop up the lid when I need to service the stock tank

Soon, I will grow some vines up the lattice to really cover things up.

Here's what it looks like at this stage. Excuse the mess around it as I still haven't had time to do my final clean up. But thuis is a real cheap and simple idea to hide these bohemoths.

stockcover.jpg

Reaction score
could you do this with a 150 and put another layer of the light grid on the next level so the strapping is sandwiched and have plants on top of the grid to add addt'l filtering?

Ask a Question