DIY Stock Tank Filter

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by koikeepr, May 7, 2010.

1. koikeepr

PondMutt

i installed a 100 gallon stock tank filter .. .... used the existing drain as my bottom drain , ya sure its not all the way down but it does not leak , i have had big trouble with shower drains leaking in other vessels ,,and no more holes to cut

put in 2 each out flow 2 inch pipe using inserts .. set them as low as you can . you can use elbow and extend as high as you want .. .. infeed over the top piped to the bottom .. flows very good

look at this chart . i have tested it for accuracy ,
    if you put 3 inches of water over a 2 inch straight pipe it will flow 1800 gph,, times 2 as i set 2 each 2 inch with inserts
    more than you ever want to flow through a filter element .
    2 out flow is a good idea .. there is always something getting around and blocking up one.
    regards leaks , i only drilled 2 holes for the out flow and installed the rubber inserts , damfi can recall the proper nomenclature for those just now ..
    zero leak ... i wnt down and dug one out .. uniseal rubber inserts .
    i have used many 2 inch a couple 3 inch and 4 inch .. on a thin material like a 55G blue barrel might require some goop , but on thick material like a stock tank no goop required ,, might well require some finesse to get the pipe in though , and a big rubber hammer [ and beveling of the pipe to be inserted and some ,,+ slickumup stuff+ ].. i put a 2 inch uniseal in though the side of a 10 inch PVC .. worked good . i think i might put a 2 inch uniseal in a 4 inch .. ..
    so in my stock tank filter i used existing drain for bottom drain [ knife valve exterior ] popped in 2 each holes for out floe maybe 6-8 inches below the top.. using +uniseal+ inserts ,, ran the inflow in over the top piped to bottom ,, valved with ball valve .. stuffed it full with bags of mixed media

works good . no leaks

Attached Files:

PondMutt, Apr 13, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. koikeepr

oneofakindcritter

Has anyone incorporated, a stock tank filter into a existing tetra... water fall & skimmer setup. If so ??? if not thoughts ideas how ? My pump is submerged and sets on bottom .. So water flows into skimmer filter goes down through pump then back out water fall filter... as my fish grow I would like more filtration.. yet would prefer it be hidden..

oneofakindcritter, Apr 13, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. koikeepr

Brenda Sue

What happened to all the pictures?

Brenda Sue, Feb 8, 2018
  4. koikeepr

Lisak1

Photobucket changed their hosting rules, is my understanding. Lots of people lost access to lots of online photos.

Lisak1, Feb 9, 2018
  5. koikeepr

sissy sissy

The main reason I have always stored my pics on my puter and a hard drive

sissy, Feb 9, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question