Do I need a cavity?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am building a partially raised pond. Above ground level will be 4 bricks high. My question is do I need to build a double skinned wall (2 bricks wide). This is shown in the handbook I'm using but quite frankly I don't see the point apart from a useful place to hide the liner. Cost has become an issue so If I'm able to build just 1 wall it would be useful.
Anyone know the advantage of a double skinned wall for a pond?
Thanks

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I went 2 bricks up on the pond i made this spring , i would have felt ok going 4 if i needed too

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used retaining wall block and even that says not more than 4 high and I went higher and no problems with it so far .I can imagine cement one would be even sturdier than retaining wall block .Like your build DRCase ,never been great with cement I either add to much water or to little :cheerful:

Reaction score
Thanks all.

Dr Case. Do you have a photo diary of your pond build? It would be very useful to me to see a build "day by day" or "step by step". I've never built a pond (never built anything even) so would be great if your willing to share your photos (your build has similarities to mine). I so need this to turn out right as I have completely blown the budget so there is nothing left for alterations/repairs.

I have decided to stick with a double skinned wall (2 bricks wide) based on 1 reason only. The pond building guide I am reading shows it this way. This may sound a little lame but I am a complete novice when it comes to ponds and building in general and can only work to the information put in front of me - this is why I have found this forum so useful, great to check things out on here and not go with the manufacturers biased advice all the time.
I will be using the cavity to sandwich (and hide) the liner.

Thanks again guys
Waz

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
When I built my pond, my husband who is also a general contractor insisted to do thing correctly with the foundation in a correct size and all. I was not very happy because I was doing most of the work :faint:

Anyway, our pond is only like 650 gallon and my husband insisted that I have to build a 2 layers wall. At least 2 sides are hiding so I can use concrete blocks instead, which saved a lot of time :)

Attachments

• pond 1.jpg
    pond 1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 410
  • pond 2.jpg
    pond 2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 627
  • pond 3.jpg
    pond 3.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 500
  • pond 4.jpg
    pond 4.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 358
Reaction score
Nepen,

" my husband insisted that I have to build a 2 layers wall."

Could you tell me the reasons for double skinning the wall?

I am doing it anyway but am curious to know why its recommended.

Wayne

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
catnwaz said:
Thanks all.

Dr Case. Do you have a photo diary of your pond build? It would be very useful to me to see a build "day by day" or "step by step". I've never built a pond (never built anything even) so would be great if your willing to share your photos (your build has similarities to mine). I so need this to turn out right as I have completely blown the budget so there is nothing
I will be using the cavity to sandwich (and hide) the liner.

Thanks again guys
Waz
I took a lot of pics I just never posted them
What are you looking for ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
catnwaz said:
Nepen,

" my husband insisted that I have to build a 2 layers wall."

Could you tell me the reasons for double skinning the wall?

I am doing it anyway but am curious to know why its recommended.

Wayne
I think what he said was that it's stronger and with pressure from the water, I need a strong wall (I built my pond up, 3 blocks high, and dont have below grade level). The two layers only came to play where I used bricks, where I used 8" blocks I used just one layer.

Ask a Question