Do I need to keep all of my filters on 24/7? Please see the pictures!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For some reason over in the UK mechanical filters and beads or sieves far out weigh bog maybe it's something in the water.
hi @GBBUDD i think its because its still a new thing in the uk and a lot of people are DKP people another thing is space the average garden in the uk is tiny compared to some of the yards in the US also raised ponds with windows are very fashionable at the moment, i watch a lot of gardening programs on tv and if its a pond then its a raised one with with a window i never see a fish pond filtered solely by plants, before i started using this forum i had never heard of a bog filter so i think a lot is ignorance and the information people are getting is incorrect ie bogs smell stagnant water etc etc and that comes from incorrectly constructed bogs. some of the most beautiful ponds i have seen are bogs on this forum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
a lot is ignorance and the information people are getting is incorrect ie bogs smell stagnant water etc etc and that comes from incorrectly constructed bogs. some of the most beautiful ponds i have seen are bogs on this forum.
We had a member here who tried, and I do occasionally, to correct the terminology; should be upflow wetland filter, as 'bog' is not exactly what we're using but you know peeps--gotta shorten everything and 'bog' is a lot easier to type and say, so 'bog' it is. I think UWF would be a LOT better to tell newbies but can't carry the load all my my widdle knightly self! Gotta get some of the other 'playas' here to pitch in and we could alter that perception.

And you're right; something older than any mech filter mankind ever thought up is 'new' to various sectors of the pond world. Ironic, ain't it? But then, not a lot of profit tellin' peeps they can filter their ponds with rocks and plants, once past the initial resource payout and most pond stored ONLY carry the plantings, not the other bits.

(hey Boss @addy1 ; can ya add UWF = bog filter to the Acro list??? Pwitty Pawlese?)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
should be upflow wetland filter, as 'bog' is not exactly what we're using but you know peeps--gotta shorten everything and 'bog' is a lot easier to type and say, so 'bog' it is.
WHO THE BELL IS AT THE HELM HERE DID YOU JUST SAY PEOPLE NEED TO SHORTEN TEXT. What did you do with @brokensword. Ok I see a bit of him in tge last words there. To me a unflow wetland filter . Sounds like the failed undergravel filter we all had at one point. So starting off with a sour taste in the mouth will be harder to sell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
WHO THE BELL IS AT THE HELM HERE DID YOU JUST SAY PEOPLE NEED TO SHORTEN TEXT. What did you do with @brokensword. Ok I see a bit of him in tge last words there. To me a unflow wetland filter . Sounds like the failed undergravel filter we all had at one point. So starting off with a sour taste in the mouth will be harder to sell.
Twas Meyer who was first to correct and I sort of took up that banner after he passed. I know; tis indeed a LOT more to say and type, so even I use 'bog' most of the time, but if we all went to UWF, we'd no doubt have to explain a bit, esp at first, but eventually, this would negate any 'bog' frowning of newbies.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wish I had even a little interest in the raised aspect but to me it's a bit to contemporary I prefer good old mother nature to be the artist. As my build shows. I was never the sunken pirate ship or the diving bell helmet in the fish tank kinda guy. Not saying that the window is not very cool to see the fish. But it's just not my cup of tea.
The raised pond can easily have a bog filter off to the side of the raised pond. And even with site restrictions the bog can be 6 feet tall and 30 feet long to match the length of the pond. And when you allow a plant much like creeping Jenny to cascade over the sides and drape down into the pond it softens the contemporary. This can certainly add to the over all appearance to the pond. But that's my taste it does remove the simplistic and simple lines of contemporary

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My conversations with Meyer alas were . Very common place for the site I believe he passed within a couple weeks that I started here but I have read a good many of his posts. He a the Canadian who's name is escaping me at present. MITCH

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Well, like they say....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
If your water is clear and your fish are healthy, just keep doing what you're doing.
I wouldn't shut anything down.

You are doing the right thing by learning what you have there.

That being said, I prefer simplicity. If I can achieve clear water and healthy fish with a system that is simple with little, if not zero maintenance, that's a plus.
I don't do much when it comes to filtration. The bog does it all on it's own. I just sit back and enjoy.
A hobby with constant work is no fun to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My conversations with Meyer alas were . Very common place for the site I believe he passed within a couple weeks that I started here but I have read a good many of his posts. He a the Canadian who's name is escaping me at present. MITCH
I think most prefer 'eco-filter' rather than 'upflow wetland filter'. That would work too except it's not accurate either as in nature, the water isn't forced up anywhere. And I've explained a 'real bog' vs what we call a 'bog' and it gets muddy in their heads, so easier to just point to a bog build and let them absorb the little moniker than to get them to remember UWF. Though I'd rather be more accurate.

Yes, Mitch, ala Canada. Think he drained his main large pond, was in the middle of gunniting the beast, then haven't heard from him. Knows a lot about the chemistry of it all...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, like they say....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
If your water is clear and your fish are healthy, just keep doing what you're doing.
I wouldn't shut anything down.

You are doing the right thing by learning what you have there.

That being said, I prefer simplicity. If I can achieve clear water and healthy fish with a system that is simple with little, if not zero maintenance, that's a plus.
I don't do much when it comes to filtration. The bog does it all on it's own. I just sit back and enjoy.
A hobby with constant work is no fun to me.
there IS something to be said re 'tweaking/twiddling' with your hobby. I really DO find that any hobby which just stays stagnant, i.e. no change, is doomed to peter out quickly. So, some filter changing aspects, imo, probably keep some folks INTO the hobby. Now, I agree with you re filtration; the less I have to do means I can concentrate on stocking the pond, ya know???? ;) heh heh Among other aspects, of course!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With GREEN ECO FILTER HAS A MUCH BETTER CHANCE OF taking off then would upflow. Though and I have done this alot . I don't claim to be a green guy. Bit my carbon foot print is not the lowest either while in some ways I am very green and in otherS ''harley" IM NOT SO GOOD AT ALL. but I do not take my private jet across the Atlantic praying green when in actuality they are only greens in there heads

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
With GREEN ECO FILTER HAS A MUCH BETTER CHANCE OF taking off then would upflow. Though and I have done this alot . I don't claim to be a green guy. Bit my carbon foot print is not the lowest either while in some ways I am very green and in otherS ''harley" IM NOT SO GOOD AT ALL. but I do not take my private jet across the Atlantic praying green when in actuality they are only greens in there heads
maybe we need to ACTUALLY come up with a name that is both true AND easy on the ears/idea, hey? Should we start a thread and conversation? Would be interesting to see what others hear/feel/think on the subject. Of course, like most ideas, would take a slow overturning of current mindthink to make it work, but I'm game.

[edit; I'm going to just start a thread and go from there; we'll see how much interest there is toward promoting the whole upflow wetland/bog filter idea]

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
BOG I can't believe your not loving BOG it's three letters like most of your acronyms simple and says it all
BOG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
BOG I can't believe your not loving BOG it's three letters like most of your acronyms simple and says it all
BOG
I prefer accuracy more; typing less ISN'T my problem, GB; if you've SEEN any of my 'longer posts', that should be obvious. Most all my novels are over 400 ppg for a reason...Accuracy; that's the ticket! The acros are just for having fun, faster!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Kudos to all of you!
You guys/gals are geniuses with all the knowledge about those fancy filtering systems and water chemistry!
It's all too complicated for me!
I have no clue what a bead filter is or how one operates.

A wealth of information

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Kudos to all of you!
You guys/gals are geniuses with all the knowledge about those fancy filtering systems and water chemistry!
It's all too complicated for me!
I have no clue what a bead filter is or how one operates.

A wealth of information
bead filters ain't that complicated, PJ; basically 'beads' were used and can be also sand (coarse) and it acts just like your pea gravel; a bio filter with pressurized water going through it. Probably a lot more 'polishing' going on in those but not essential to having healthy water. They CAN get clogged a lot easier, hence part of the 'maintenance-full' process you and I and others here at GPF, are trying to avoid!

Drum filters take larger solids out and they are deposited to one side and then collected/flushed. It's an auto mech filter.

Pond resourcers have gotten good at convincing you YOU need their product for any success with your pond. Ain'tcha glad you KNOW better??

Ask a Question