Do I need to keep all of my filters on 24/7? Please see the pictures!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
.....If you choose to build a bog, you will need to keep running the system you have until the bog is completed. Your fish need constant filtration to deal with the waste they produce. Otherwise they would be living in a polluted environment, and probably not for long......
I agree, and probably continue running it for a month or so after the bog is completed, and running. To give the bog a chance to get established, and doing it's job.

I have one pond with a single pump, running skimmer, bog, and sand filter. Which can be switched from one, the other, or all. I only use the sand filter when I vacuum debris from the bottom. The other pond has a single pump that runs the bog, and waterfall/stream.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Biological filtration needs to run 24/7 or the bacteria can die off and it won't do what you want. Chemical/physical filtration can run as desired. In reality, virtually every filtration system is a combination. I have two parallel filtration systems, one is floor drain + mechanical filter box + UV light + a spillover biological/chemical. The other system is a skimmer that pumps into a bog system.

My bog only system handled all the filtration I needed, levels were fantastic.

The water wasn't as clear as I liked, so I added the mechanical filter box/UV light and turned the spillover from mostly decorative to a well packed bio/chemical system. Now my water is crystal clear. The activated charcoal got the tannins out. I'm very happy.

I have an air pump, I think it's overkill, and when it runs it obstructs viewing the fish. I plan to replace it with a much smaller one (50% as powerful) and run it on a time to run overnight.

If you wanted to separate out the paths, you could get away with running parts of it on times, but why? This all adds complexity for no reason.

If you want to add a bog, they can be fun and reduce dependence on your gear, but you have the setup already. I'm not sure of any real benefit. I could see playing with flow rates, etc., but again this all adds complexity. Keep it simple.

Ask a Question