Do you grow Calla Lily in the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
A few years ago I put a calla in my old pond. Kept it in a pot and it languished and eventually died. When tossing it I noticed the roots looked rotted and nasty.

This year I put one in my new pond and just stuck it in between some rocks making sure just the roots were covered...and it’s doing much much much better than the other one.
They seem to do best in a bog, with at least a couple of inches of the root mass above the waterline. Feet wet only.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I feel like I have to update this thread. At first the calla lilies seemed to do ok in the bog and in planter I have in the pond. Slowly over the last two months my lilies began to slowly die of as well. I tied to fertilize them but his seemed to only stabilize them for a few days and then they would go back to wasting away. Finally I moved them to a raised flower bed, and put some irises in the bog.
Of the three calla lilies I move two have died. The last is in a very shady part of the garden. It has not died but is not blooming or growing, it is just existing.
The Iris on the other hand love it in the bog. They have almost doubled in size in just a couple of weeks they have been in the bog.

Ask a Question