Do you name your fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I used to name my fish in the beginning, then after the Blue Heron ate my favorite ones, I just couldn't get that attached to new fish anymore! ... but I'm thinking about it, now that I got my pond where I wanted and the fish are safe from predators I might give each a name! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We've named all the koi. The goldfish - too many of them! Although our original four or five have names - the rest are just anonymous!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have so many fish it's hard to name them all.

I do have certain ones that stand out for whatever reason and they have names.

I too have lost some of my favorites that had names. So I do understand shying away from choosing a name.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We let the kids in our neighborhood name the first few, which is why the yellow comet is named Dandelion, and the orange comet is named Pumpkin. They named the shubunkin "Blueberry." I've only lost one fish since starting the pond, and it was a sarassa comet named Fleck. But now we've seen a fry (our first one) that has the sarassa markings, so in memory of Fleck, we've named it "Fleckles."

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good question! I try very hard NOT to name them. It seems that every fish I've named has either died or disappeared. By "disappeared," I mean there one day, gone the next. I don't think it's predators, but maybe sometimes they die and I never see the bodies...... So I sort of call them all, "Fishy."

I do have one in the pond now that I call "Cinderella," and one that has become a permanent indoor pet named "Larry." Cinderella was an unexpected spawn during the first summer of my pond. A mutt Shubunkin that has turned into a lovely fish (@addy1 looks very much like your Shubies with lots of blue and speckles). Keeping my fingers crossed that I haven't jinxed them!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good question! I try very hard NOT to name them. It seems that every fish I've named has either died or disappeared. By "disappeared," I mean there one day, gone the next. I don't think it's predators, but maybe sometimes they die and I never see the bodies...... So I sort of call them all, "Fishy."

I do have one in the pond now that I call "Cinderella," and one that has become a permanent indoor pet named "Larry." Cinderella was an unexpected spawn during the first summer of my pond. A mutt Shubunkin that has turned into a lovely fish (@addy1 looks very much like your Shubies with lots of blue and speckles). Keeping my fingers crossed that I haven't jinxed them!
I know what you mean! Why is it that the ones we favor, are the first ones we lose?:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Oddly my parents are the ones who name the fish (shouldn't be the kids?). Whether the fish has a name or not I still get attached so it doesn't matter to me. I've kept 100s of fish and never named one myself but I accept their names given by others and refer to them as such.

With the pond I find the names almost necessary though because we spend so much time sitting by it as a group talking about the fish and it is hard to say "the orange one, next to the other orange one" and have someone know which fish you are talking about. lol I have about 23 goldfish/shubunkins and they all have names and we can tell all but 2 of them apart instantly. Even friends and family can tell most of the fish apart now and know their names. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't name mine I don't pick them out favorites, well I do have some that stand out. I enjoy them. Hope they don't disappear.

This spring they were hiding so good after the ice melted I thought I had no fish for about two weeks. ...................

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Being my first season I have only a few named - but this will only make my first winter even more difficult...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
With the pond I find the names almost necessary though because we spend so much time sitting by it as a group talking about the fish and it is hard to say "the orange one, next to the other orange one" and have someone know which fish you are talking about. lol :)
I agree! I had several fish tanks and never named the fish, I liked them all, but not in the same way I like my koi!

This spring they were hiding so good after the ice melted I thought I had no fish for about two weeks. ...................
That's a scary thought! I can just imagine how I'd feel if that ever happens to me!:woot:

Being my first season I have only a few named - but this will only make my first winter even more difficult...
Why? Because you'll miss your fish more?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Name = attachment & higher sense of responsibility to nurture (feels like any way -

Ask a Question