Do you have names for your fish?

• Yes

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
I was wondering if other pond/fish owners name their fish. We have 7 koi and 6 comets and I have names for all of them! here are just a couple pics of: Patch (in honor of Robin Wms), Luna (in honor of our koi that disappeared last winter), Big Kahuna (formerly Bert of Bert and Ernie til Ernie passed), Sunshine, Madame Butterfly, Chance, Waldo,Darryl, Darryl, Callie, and Shadow...then the little ones Lil' Bit, and Shadow Jr.
IMG_2675.JPG
IMG_1271.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Of course! Although we have a few goldfish that are so similar that we refer to them as a group - The Sisters. No idea if they are male or female though!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
My daughters have named a few...wiggle bum (fantail) Sara (sarasa looking comet) Shubby (shubunkin) The koi don't have any names as of yet.....:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I name some of them but not all

Shamu is a big white common goldfish I got when I first started my pond. Pandora is a big telescope eye goldfish that I adopted (she was injured and lost an eye so could not be sold). Romeo who is a big orang oranda with an adorable face and big wen (birthday present from family)

These are just some of my favorites

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't name fish. I never named the snakes or lizards I used to own either. I just name cats, dogs, and a bird.

Reaction score
I have named 3 of my fish. Beefcake, a large male fantail. Mango, an even larger male oranda. And Vader, my one foot long pleco. They live in my 125 gallon aquarium in the house. No outside fish have names.

Also isn't it cheating to change a fish's name halfway through it's life?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I had a Koi thirty years ago that liked to come over to my hand and flip upside down so I could rub her belly. I named her Friendly; after she died I haven't named another. Still waiting for her to come back.:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I stopped naming my goldfish after the first year when some of them died. Now naturally since I stopped naming them they are all mostly doing well, but I won't start naming them again!

Ask a Question