Do you think this guy is super cooling his koi? ;)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Colleen, it is the squeeky wheel, girly syndrome. A lot of folk, like Waddy's super rich buddies don't struggle with these problems. You won't hear much from them. The cads. It's just the folk who are doing the girly tantrums who are doing the drama queen stuff. Granted, they have more excuses to struggle with climate change.
Climate Change used to be called "gloBULL warming" ha ha ha

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Climate change is a result of global warming. For example the jet stream is massively unstable, swinging above freezing temps over the north pole while swinging snow into north africa, as the north pole disintegrates

England is on the front line of climate change with unprecedented storms swinging in sometimes hurricanes from the gulf or siberian snow blasts

This spring, I see many blossom trees ruined, warmed too much, too early, for freakish cold snaps to wreck their crop. This level of destruction is getting worse, year by year. Pot luck what disaster swings in and where now

arctic north pole above freezing 5 feb.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Colleen, it is the squeeky wheel, girly syndrome. A lot of folk, like Waddy's super rich buddies don't struggle with these problems. You won't hear much from them. The cads. It's just the folk who are doing the girly tantrums who are doing the drama queen stuff. Granted, they have more excuses to struggle with climate change.

Three sexist remarks in one post. Impressive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thankyou. I can do better I think that is a quite apt mixed metaphor, combining squeeky wheels, and girlies. Some folk go like that when all their prized koi wind up dead

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thankyou. I can do better I think that is a quite apt mixed metaphor, combining squeeky wheels, and girlies. Some folk go like that when all their prized koi wind up dead
You probably wish .None of my koi are dead. . I just posted a video of them very much alive and very well. They are still sleepy and slowly waking up. I am done with you guys. You are mean, and its people like you that scare everybody off. At least I have thousands of followers on my UTube channel that appreciate me and respect me.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
There are plenty of private zoos around the world that have kept animals in deplorable conditions for decades, and they certainly would not be considered "experts" just because they kept animals alive for so long.
- so unless you are able to describe why, in scientific terms that are applicable to anyone's pond, you assertions are not going to go very far.;)
It is far more deplorable to allow the (cold water) koi to live In tropical parasite infested waters that are unnatural to cold water fish species such as Koi and Goldfish, than to keep them in ice cold running water all winter, as that is more natural and benefits cold water fish such as Koi and goldfish.
If what I am doing is so wrong then my fish would be sick and weak according to your theory, but as you can clearly see after 5 long years of posting my winter pond videos, that is just not the case. You can go back 5 years on my UTube channel and see all my Koi and guess what?? They are all still there very much alive and heathy. I dare you to pick out any one of my koi from my videos and I will post a new current video of them today, very much alive and very healthy. Go ahead, find one and I will prove that every single koi is still there in my pond, free of any sickness and still alive and very well ...
Can any of you experts prove The same about any of your fish, kept in warmer water all winter???? I know for a fact that I can.

And if you go to my other summer pond thread, you can go back even further.

I also have very old footage of my two oldest koi somewhere on that thread, and if you wish I can post it here on this thread for you guys to examine under your microscope and you will see they are the same koi, year after year, after many years.

I have proof of what I say on my UTube channel (colleen penny) and please feel free to check that out. My channel has about one million views now and over 2217 followers.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
And if you feel that Koi and goldfish are tropical, then look into the Oxford Concise Dictionary, as it clearly says that they are COLD water fish. Period. End of story. Not tropical and no such thing as "sub tropical koi or goldfish. Period. End of your fabricated story. So there!!!!!!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
. If your goal is to raise a pond full of 36" Japanese-bred gosanke to take to a koi show you are going to have a far different set of goals and challenges than keeping a few 12" mutts alive.

Just because a guy has a barn full of mules that don't die over the winter doesn't mean he knows more than Bob Baffert about raising thoroughbred racehorses.

To insinuate that my koi must be "mutts" is rude and insults every koi owner on this forum that is wintering their koi outside and alive all winter !!!!

The Nerve of some people !!!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
So this guy from the UK brought a new very expensive fancy heater to keep in his COLD WATER Koi toasty and warm and TROPICAL a couple months ago, so they wont have to suffer from a NATURAL WINTER spell that ALL COLD water fish require to keep them healthy and free of disease. Now his fish get to SUFFER with This !!!
But what do I possibly know after keeping my Koi heathy and alive in Ice Cold running water after 27 years...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
No, you don't know much about ponds that winter with borderline temps. You conveniently ignore the casualty rates on fish which have never been raised in waters colder than 10c

The guys in japan and the uk who use covers, heaters, whether electric or oil fired, are stopping temps from dropping below 50f. That gets nishikigoi through Winter, reliable. As per every koi breeder Waddy has visited.

The casualty rates of koi kept in ponds that swing in and out of the 40's frequent is horrendous and you blithely pretend if folk visit your nickle and dime youtube pages they can find a solution. Good luck with that scam.

http://koikichi.com/the-importance-of-heating/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It is far more deplorable to allow the (cold water) koi to live In tropical parasite infested waters that are unnatural to cold water fish species such as Koi and Goldfish, than to keep them in ice cold running water all winter, as that is more natural and benefits cold water fish such as Koi and goldfish.
If what I am doing is so wrong then my fish would be sick and weak according to your theory, but as you can clearly see after 5 long years of posting my winter pond videos, that is just not the case. You can go back 5 years on my UTube channel and see all my Koi and guess what?? They are all still there very much alive and heathy. I dare you to pick out any one of my koi from my videos and I will post a new current video of them today, very much alive and very healthy. Go ahead, find one and I will prove that every single koi is still there in my pond, free of any sickness and still alive and very well ...
Can any of you experts prove The same about any of your fish, kept in warmer water all winter???? I know for a fact that I can.

And if you go to my other summer pond thread, you can go back even further.

I also have very old footage of my two oldest koi somewhere on that thread, and if you wish I can post it here on this thread for you guys to examine under your microscope and you will see they are the same koi, year after year, after many years.

I have proof of what I say on my UTube channel (colleen penny) and please feel free to check that out. My channel has about one million views now and over 2217 followers.

I never said you were doing anything wrong, Colleen.:)

I learned long ago that if I wasn't able to get my message across to people in a way that they could understand, they wouldn't get my message.
All I'm saying is that if you had some basic measurements like temperature observations, PH, KH, GH that we could compare numbers, then we could better understand why some people have difficulty and why some have success.

- because right now all everyone's arguing over is who has has a more legitimate opinion - which isn't getting this discussion any further ahead.

For example, if you do a search for "physiological effects of cold water on koi" or better yet "physiological effects of cold water on Amur Carp", you can come up with some actual studies done that show how temperature affects these cold water fish.
Don't bother looking for opinion pieces, look for actual scientific studies. Google Scholar has a lot of information.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada

I learned long ago that if I wasn't able to get my message across to people in a way that they could understand, they wouldn't get my message.
All I'm saying is that if you had some basic measurements like temperature observations, PH, KH, GH that we could compare numbers, then we could better understand why some people have difficulty and why some have success.

- because right now all everyone's arguing over is who has has a more legitimate opinion - which isn't getting this discussion any further ahead.

For example, if you do a search for "physiological effects of cold water on koi" or better yet "physiological effects of cold water on Amur Carp", you can come up with some actual studies done that show how temperature affects these cold water fish.
Don't bother looking for opinion pieces, look for actual scientific studies. Google Scholar has a lot of information.
Currently my water temp is still barely above freezing and all my koi are very much alive and very well.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
No, you don't know much about ponds that winter with borderline temps. You conveniently ignore the casualty rates on fish which have never been raised in waters colder than 10c

The guys in japan and the uk who use covers, heaters, whether electric or oil fired, are stopping temps from dropping below 50f. That gets nishikigoi through Winter, reliable. As per every koi breeder Waddy has visited.

The casualty rates of koi kept in ponds that swing in and out of the 40's frequent is horrendous and you blithely pretend if folk visit your nickle and dime youtube pages they can find a solution. Good luck with that scam.

http://koikichi.com/the-importance-of-heating/
The reason they lost their koi is very simple. They shut down all their pumps for fear of super cooling their ponds and water surface froze over solid, choking out the large koi. Seen it myself many times as others in town believed that running pumps would super cool water, which is not possible. You can also find many many others (one time uploaders on UTube) that let their ponds freeze over completely and never came back cause the fish most likely froze shut. Then for years pond books and large pond companies told their customers to just run aerator and heater but like I said before, aerators all freeze shut and quit working for many after -25 and then their koi suffocated. That is why my koi are still alive well others died. My pumps are all underwater below the ice and pumping water to upper ponds non stop all winter so that my koi always have clean fresh oxygenated water. I have pointed this fact out many times..

And my U tube channel actually pays me very well these days thank you very much!

Last edited:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada

They can all go research my UTube Channel (colleen penny) and see years of videos documenting my very healthy and very much alive and well koi, and follow me all winter and summer, to see for themselves. Then they can go search my extreme weather in Medicine Hat Alberta Canada as that is documented as well. They can also clearly see lots of frosty ice on my ponds each winter, proving water is ice cold. The temps of my ponds are obviously very cold as their is lots of frosty ice on my ponds when temps are very low and bottom pond gets over a foot of ice most years.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
And furthermore, the reason they move their koi indoors is cause the warm water grows koi very fast, so they {the Japanese} grow koi very fast, kinda like the cattle industry, and hence the sick koi.

Its just business 101, and in the mean time Peter can sell lots of books as he sits on top of a hill talking about how they grow big business koi super fast to keep up with demand.... Just so you know Peter Waddinton has only one out of two workable videos, the other video of him partying up a storm with the locals was taken down

Last edited:

Ask a Question